Should I massage my gummy bear implants?

I am one week post op with 425 cc gummy bear implants. My doctor wants me to start massaging them, but I heard that gummy bear implants can move, and cause complications if massaged. Should I massage them? Thank you!

Massaging Silicone Implants

Excellent question. Let me attempt to answer as succinctly as possible.

1. Always follow your surgeon's advice, especially in the post-operative period. You chose your surgeon for a reason. Hopefully the reason was a good one. You trusted him to do your operation. Trust him to care for you afterward.

2. Gummy bear implants are not special or unique compared to all other implants, but simply the latest iteration of breast implants using cohesive silicone gel. They do not need to be treated like visiting royalty, and should be just as durable as any other implant.

3. The fill material of the implant is not important when discussing post-operative management. The surface texture of the implant determines its behavior, not its stuffing.

4. After twenty years experience, I can honestly say I have never seen breast massage make any difference in the potential for capsular formation and contracture, but we all tell our patients to do it. Poking at your breast for five minutes on a Wednesday night will not correct a contracture that has already formed. Protocols for preventing or ameliorating capsular contracture have been described and published. Ask your surgeon if he is aware of these alternative, more effective methods.

Massaging Gummy Bear Implants

Thank you for this question. I'm inclined to agree with your doctor, but whenever you hear something that conflicts with something your plastic surgeon has said, it's important to raise any concerns you may have with your surgeon, so that you can feel confident in following your postoperative instructions. Best of luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Massaging of implants after breast augmentation

The term gummy bear implants is used very loosely to describe many different types of implants.  My advice is to follow the instructions from you surgeon.  

Massage and textured implants

Massage is usually not recommended for textured implants.  Best to ask your surgeon what he prefers. Best of luck.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Gummy Bear massage

Ultimately, the only person who should be dictating your postoperative instructions and limitations is the surgeon who performs the procedure. Only he/she knows your background, your specific case, the surgical maneuvers planned and performed, etc. While we online consultants aim to help as much as possible, it is not appropriately that we be dictating any aspect of the postoperative care for a patient with whom we are not familiar, nor have even met.
But, as a rule, I do not recommend massaging shaped, textured implants.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Do not massage gummy bear shaped or any textured implants

You should not perform massage after Breast Implants that are shaped or textured.  Base on your description your gummy bear implants are likely shaped and textured.  Massaging could lead to malposition of the implants or a hematoma or seroma (bleeding or fluid inside the breast around the implants)  DO NOT MASSAGE.  Best of luck.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

You do not massage textured implants you DO massage smooth implants

A lot of us throw around the term gummy bear  for the most part referring to the 5th generation gel implants (although some may use it for 4th generation ). Those 5th generation gel implants have more cohesive gel that when you cut the implant in half it doesn't ooze and run it maintains its form.  There are 5th generation gel implants that have a smooth outer surface those you DO massage.  The 5th generation gel with a textured surface you DO NOT massage!  Reasons for this are massage helps prevent capsular contracture with a smooth implant.  It keeps the pocket open. The problem with massaging a textured implant is its like rubbing a rough Velcro surface inside your breast capsule. It will cause irritation and a seroma.  The texturing works all on its own to prevent a capsule it is supposed to cling and prevent movement. That is why shaped implants all have have texturing. You don't want a shaped implant to move, just imagine a sideways or upside down tear drop! 

So so if the outer surface of your implant is smooth, massage. If it is textured, don't.  Gummy bear refers to the inside not the outside. 

I hope
this helps!

Melinda Haws, MD