Lumineers Vs Veneers

When would you recommend lumineers instead of veneers? What factors are considered?

The key is to find a dentist you trust and see some actual cases

Prepless veneers, of which Lumineers are one brand name, can look fantastic and have nice finish lines. Unfortunately it requires an absolute master ceramist and highly skilled and trained dentist to deliver this.  When you need bigger teeth (to fill spaces or broaden the smile) they can look great if done exceptionally well.  When done in the wrong case, it's a disaster.  Luckily, they can be removed and brought back to original shape (I've done it for veneers done in another office) but then that's money down the drain.  Like the others here, I have seen more bad than good.

Memphis Dentist

I would do regular porcelain veneers

I have yet to see a Lumineers case that I considered "aesthetically accceptable" in my mind. I agree with Dr. Jablow that they can cause ledges at the gumline and cause inflammation. This inflammation is caused from an un-natural emergence profile that that new tooth has. All a Lumineer is is a no-prep veneer. Dentistry has been doing "no-prep" veneers ever since veneers were invented. I understand you are concerned about tooth reduction. Go to an experienced cosmetic dentist and explain this to them. They can usually indicate to you that they will remain conservative in the reduction of CERTAIN areas of your tooth- not just the entire tooth.

Veneers

I would absolutely recommend porcelain veneers over Lumineers. Lumineers are just a brand of prepless veneers. While some veneer cases can be accomplished with minimal preparation they are rarely no-prep as advertised. I have personally redone at least 30 Lumineer cases that were done by a previous dentist. They looked bulky, they fractured easily and the gum tissue was inflamed because of improper emergence profile and a ledges at the gumline. Beautiful results are possible with veneers. They are a big investment, so my recommendation would be to do your research and do them right the first time! Best of luck and follow us for more information!

Lumineers can give magnificent results on the right case.

Lumineers are a type of veneer.  They are ideal in patients who need minimal changes in shape and color.  Well they are considered no prep veneers the can also be used in combination with tooth preperation.

Veners that are bonded to just enamel are the strongest and least problem free but sometimes optimal esthetics are compromised.

Each case is different.  I suggest always starting with a diagnostic wax-up that is transferred to the mouth to see the " final result" ahead of time.  

Lip support, color and length can be evaluated.  I usually like to see patients a few days after temps are placed to re-evaluate esthetics before proceeding to final restorations.

Ira L Shapira

Different veneers for different cases

I have used different types of veneers from ceramic materials to different levels of full prep, minimal prep and no prep veneers including Lumineers and Cristal veneers as two fine examples of ceramic labs we work with for the latter.  
Every patient is unique and treatment options are numerically ordered depending on the case.  For those cases that minimal to no prep veneers are adequate to get beautiful aesthetic results, full thickness veneers are then put lower down on the list of options, as, tooth preservation is ALWAYS ideal.

Find a dentist that has completed all different types of veneer cases and see what is right for your situation.

We recommend Lumineers under certain circumstances

If your teeth are fairly straight and you want to make them whiter and improve the shape, Lumineers can be a great solution.

I alway recommend porcelain veneers over lumineers.

I prefer porcelain veneers over lumineers because they fit better and look better. 

This is alwyas the case. 

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Dentist

Apples vs. Oranges

Anyone who recommends Lumineers over regular veneers simply doesn't know what they are talking about.  Lumineers are substandard venners created by a company with great marketing. 

Lumineers vs Veneers

Both Lumineers and traditional porcelain veneers have their strengths and weaknesses. Both systems used in appropriate situations and done correctly will transform a smile. 

Lumineers vs Regular Porcelain Veneers

Lumineers CAN work when you are doing a LOT of them (for example, at least eight to ten teeth). In that situation the shape and size can be generally matched. I would do Lumineers for someone who is not too picky about the final result. There WILL be variations in the colorations, because the thicknesses of the Lumineers will vary.

Another consideration is that the bite has to be matched extremely well for the Lumineers (or any porcelain veneers) to hold up well. 

In general, the main advertised advantage for Lumineers is that the teeth are not prepared, drilled or shaved down.  There are other systems (other brands) that can allow that same non-invasive approach, but done in a way to give more personalization and better color matching. I choose this approach MOST of the time.

Any veneers can be a big improvement, but beautifully crafted, thoughtfully color matched, and meticulously bonded, and precision matching of the bite will provide you with MNAY years of beauty and a magnificent smile, without regrets! (and the envy of your friends).