I have a lot of loose skin in my inner thighs. What do I do? (photos)

I constantly do squats in my weights class and it's not helping. Iv lost a lot of weight and now I don't want to progress because it keeps getting worse. I'm 17. I shouldn't have this problem. I can't even wear shorts it's too embarrassing. Any movement I make my legs jiggle. My parents would think I'm crazy asking to have surgery. They don't understand how self conscious I am about it. Is there anything I can do????

Loose Skin for inner thighs

Coolsculpting is an excellent nonsurgical fat reduction procedure that has been approved for a number of areas including thighs. However, it has not received FDA approval for skin tightening or cellulite removal. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options, and choose the treatment plan that best meets your needs/objectives.

Coolsculpting will not correct loose skin

Coolsculpting is an excellent non-invasive fat reduction tool.  You will lose 20% of the fat in any given area treated.  However, it will do nothing to address skin laxity or cellulite. Given your age and skin I would investigate Thermage for both cellulite and skin tightening.  With the new Thermage CPT total tip it will help with both areas, especially in the legs and buttock area.  Please make sure to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Thermage for the best results.

Stubborn Skin on Inner Thighs

Hi there, and thanks for your question. Although 17 is a young age to experience significant skin laxity, it is possible, especially after a major weight loss. It's difficult to tell from your photos whether any cosmetic treatments would be appropriate for you. Keep in mind that CoolSculpting® reduces excess fat. It is not intended for tightening skin, although some patients do notice this as an occasional pleasant side effect. Everyone's anatomy is different, and it's possible that your thighs are more naturally prone to this shape. If the skin of your thighs is causing you significant distress, consulting with a qualified doctor is the best way to determine which treatments, if any, may help you. You may be a candidate for truSculpt™ or Thermage® treatments. Good luck!

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

I have a lot of loose skin in my inner thighs.

Coolsculpting can reduce the fatty tissue along the inner thigh with a special applicator designed for that purpose. The process freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. It does not reduce excess skin, per se. If you want to find out if you would be a good candidate for colluding a simple consultation and physical examination would be your best bet.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting is not ideal for the inner thigh looseness

The inner thigh is built differently than most of the other areas of the legs and arms. Cellulite and a drapery-like sagging is noted commonly in this area naturally in many people. Liposuction is noted to have more irregularities in the inner thigh than other body sites because of this anatomical difference. 
Some patients obtain benefit but must maintain maintenance treatments to improve the skin's integrity of the inner thigh by having Endermologie or Velashape, deep massage. 
There may be benefit with some energy delivering devices such as Thermage, Pelleve, Ultherapy and the newest ThermiSmooth or ThermiRF, but more work needs to be done with the latter to determine its effectiveness by analyzing  long term followup data which is not yet available.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon