Will my top lip stay bigger than my bottom? Juvederm lip injections (Photo)

I just recently got my lips injected with Juvederm. After having it injected the doctor told me I would have swelling, which I understand but I'm scared my top lip will stay bigger than my bottom. It looks horrible He said about two weeks for the complete swelling to go away but I just want to make sure it's not something more than swelling please?

Juvederm Filler Botox Toronto

It takes 2 weeks to see how your injection results will turn out.  Be patient.  When in doubt, speak with your treating physician.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Will my top lip stay bigger than my bottom? Juvederm lip injections

You did not mention when you had your procedure done. Swelling after lip injections is expected and usually subsides within 10-14 days. If after that you're still dissatisfied- please discuss it with your injecting Doctor, keeping in mind that you can dissolve the product if you need to.

Swelling after lip filler

Swelling after lip fillers is very common and at times quite dramatic.  Depending on the time course of your injections, it could be swelling or could be over filling.  Expect to have significant swelling for at least 2-3 days following injections followed by lessening degrees of swelling for up to about 2 weeks.  Injection technique, filler type, filler amount, and patient characteristics can all have an effect on the degree of swelling experienced.  Make sure to have a frank conversation about risks and expectation before initiating any cosmetic treatment.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm lip injection and swelling

Swelling can persist for several weeks but generally improves after 3-5 days.  If you can hold on for the two weeks, that would be best.  Having more than 1cc injected increases the swelling.  Your physician, like you, does not want your upper lip larger than your lower.  If this persists beyond two weeks he can dissolve some of the filler and adjust the correction.

Christopher Dannaker, DO
Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon

You are still swollen. If not pleased after a few more days, go back to see your doctor and discuss injection of the dissolving gel to reduce size of upper lip.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Lip injections with swelling?

I would have to say that the golden ratio was violated with the injections and the upper lip will remain bigger even after swelling resides. The upper lip should be smaller by a ratio of 1:1.61. It looks odd and obvious when this is not adhered too (except in some ethnic cases where 1:1 is acceptable). After about 10 days from the procedure, go back and discuss your dissatisfaction and hopefully it will be corrected. See link about creating the perfect lips.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Overfilled Lips?

Hi Paulina, it's difficult to tell what the end product will look like at this point.  After the swelling subsides, there are options if you do not like the outcome.  Hyaluronidase (Vitrase) dissolves Juvederm easily so if you wanted to go back to the way it was before, this is quite easy.  

To learn more about Vitrase for our Torrance, CA patients, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Upper Lip is Larger then Lower lip from Juvederm

Dear paulinam96, The upper lip appears to be over filled in comparison to the bottom lip. I prefer to always add more volume to the lower lip for a more naturally balanced appearance. With that said, at this point I would wait for the swelling to dissipate and discuss with your surgeon how much Juvederm was injected to the upper lip versus the bottom lip. If this does not resolve itself after the swelling discuss dissolving some of the Juvederm for natural looking full lips. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lower lip volume vs upper lip volume

Thank you for the photos.

It is apparent that the upper lip was overvolumized.

Normally, lower lip volume is larger than the upper lip by 30%.

Time will resolve the swelling and you can reevaluate at that time.

Dr Karamanoukian

Swelling from Juvederm in the Lips

It can definitely take two weeks for the swelling to resolve.  Try to be patient and not be too anxious.  Best, Dr. Green