I want to reduce the size of my forehead. What are my options? (Photo)

I've got a very large forehead that has made me insecure since my childhood. I am tired of wearing bangs to reduce the look of it and am looking into different procedures to reduce it. I am 20 and of good health. Any ballpark cost estimates would be greatly appreciated as well.

Lowering the hair line

Thank you for your question about your forehead lift.

A reverse forehead lift can be done - to bring the hairline down and reduce the forehead skin.
This will leave a scar at the hairline - and requires short bangs to conceal for at least a year.
Or you can have hair transplants - by someone who can create the look you want.
  • Being in LA, you are awash with qualifiied physicians doing good cosmetic surgery.
  • Also many hucksters - so get at least 3 opinions with doctors with plastic, facial plastic or dermatology Board Certification -
  • Choose the one who gives you realistic expectations - anyone who promises a result and no complications is misleading you.
  • If you can't afford the surgery - save your money
  • A bad result will be worse than the high forehead you have now.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hairline Lowering Surgery

Young female patients are ideal candidates for a hairline lowering procedure.  It is the most cost effective way of achieving a lower hairline in the least amount of time permanently.  There is a scar at the hairline but if the incision is closed meticulously, it is very difficult to see.  With bangs, most patients are back to work within a couple of days.  Once the redness fades at the hairline, and some hair starts to grow through the scar, the scar will be even less noticeable. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

High forehead?

Honestly, you are a pretty young lady, and don't need surgery.

While a forehead lowering procedure exists, it leaves a scar at the hairline, which may be more visible than you like.

Alternatively, you could have hair transplantation to the area just ahead of your current hairline.  These may not always look entirely natural, either.

Reducing the Size of the Forehead

The best technique to decrease the size of the forehead is using the Irregular Trichophyyic Incision that we developed many years ago. With this approach we can lower the hairline provided normal uniform hair density and give the patient total freedom of hair styling. Cost will vary between $6,000-12,000.

Big forehead

The most efficient and economical way to lower the hairline and reduced forehead size is a surgical hairline  lowering  operation. If it is done in one stage, The results is almost instantaneous. Hair transplantation is another option. Depending on your scalp characteristics and expectations the cost can be between $7000 and $15,000

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Considering your pictures, nothing is needed, beautiful face as is.
if you insist, then 20 thousand dollar hair transplant by an expert( not me)