I have a blue string sticking out from my areola incision. It's been over 1 1/2 months (Photo)

I had 3 surgeries in month, the last one resulted in my implant being revived due to a horrible infection. I will not be returning to my original doctor and will be looking for another because I'm botched now, walking around with one breast...... I've noticed a little blue string in a section of my breast and I left it alone until today, I finally tried pulling it out. I doesn't come out. What is it? Is it dangerous? Should I go to the er?

Spitting Suture

We call this a spitting suture.  As others have noted, it is likely the one that goes around your areola.  It will probably need to be cut and then pulled out (can be done in the office, shouldn't be much discomfort).  Likely with your description of infection and history, this could have contributed to the spitting of the suture material.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon and ask them to help you manage this problem.  The biggest downside is that removing this may cause your scar to stretch and widen a bit, but you don't have much of an alternative - you don't want to leave this blue thing sticking out of your nipple indefinitely and it is also a nidus for possible future infection.

Best wishes and good luck,

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Retained suture

used in your areola reduction... and it should be removed by a surgeon or nurse friend who understands how it was placed.  I'm sorry to hear of your nightmare, and admittedly, they do occur, though very infrequently.  I would think your original surgeon (if board certified plastic) would bend over backwards to help you achieve your desired goal as you are a walking advertisement of what results that surgeon has achieved in your case.  Get your suture removed and your original surgeon, as much as you may not like him/her, should be able to remove that for no costs so go back for suture removal if you can do that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Extruded Suture

That is a thick, permanent suture that has extruded to the surface.  It is part of a lasso that goes all the way around your areola. Although not an emergency, it should be removed sooner than later.  It is unfortunate that both implants were not removed; that is standard procedure so that you are not obligated to have another surgery. You will need to consult with a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Exposed suture

Thank you for the photo and question and that suture needs to be removed.  So see an expert in the area and get it removed and start the process for eventual breast revision

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Suture

Thanks for your question -

This looks like an ethibond suture.  That is a permanent suture that shouldn't really be exposed.  It may delay healing and may also lead to problems with your implant as delayed healing could cause infection or capsular contracture.  You should see your plastic surgeon - it may be as simple as cutting the suture shorter -

I hope this helps