Are these hypopigmentation spots ever going to fade?? (photos)

Hi, i got laser hair removal done on both my arms 3 weeks ago, and unfortunately, i got burned. The spots at first were dark, but they peeled off and are white now. I have medium to tan skin. I wanted to know if these are permanent, and what i could do to help them get back to normal. I am so worried that they will stay permanent. Please help

Hypopigmentation Spots after Laser Hair Removal Burns

I am sorry this has happened to you. The pigmentation will over time improve but might not return to normal. The laser needed to be adjusted to your skin type as your skin is fairly tan. There is no known procedure that returns pigmentation to the skin. Please consult with an expert in skin care.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hypopigmentation after LHR burns

I'm sorry this has happened to you. The pigmentation will gradually improve but it might never return to normal. Your skin is fairly tan and the laser needed to be adjusted for this or not treat at all. It is a shame that the operator continued to treat you without looking at the areas previous treated. There is some evidence that microneedling and applying Latisse has helped. Possibly PRP as Dr. Emer suggested. Good luck.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Complications from Laser Hair Removal

This is very unfortunate. It seems that the burns you experienced from the laser hair removal procedure have left you with areas of diminished/absent melanin. It is extremely important that no laser procedures be performed while your skin has an active tan. These spots should eventually return to near-normal, however the damage to the melanocytes (pigment-producing skin cells) could take months to years to recover. I am not aware of any procedure that restores pigmentation to this broad of a surface area, and you should be wary of any claims to the contrary. Please consult with an expert in skin care and skin repair. My strongest recommendation is to seek care from a board-certified dermatologist..

Elizabeth Damstetter, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Hypopigmentation Spots--Arms--Laser (Fraxel)/Viva/Microneedling with PRP

I have found the best treatments for this are a combination.  You can get improvement with Fraxel or viva and microneedling with PRP.  I suggest only seeing an expert as skin care and sun protection will be essential as well.  Best, Dr. Emer. 

Laser Hair Removal

Hi there, it looks like the laser that was used on you or the settings of the laser were not appropriate for your skin type. Are you taking any medications currently, as some medications will also make your skin more sensitive. I would follow up with your original provider to see if they have options for you. We have not had this happen at our practice so I am not certain if those spots will go away with treatment or time.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician