Is covering up my inframammary incision scar safe with a tattoo? Also I feel a little rippling below my right breast.

I'm currently at my 8 month mark from a breast augmentation. I've decided to get silicone with the inframammary incision process. I don't mind the rippling too much or the scar tissue texture. However, the appearance of the scar does bother me. I would love to get a tattoo just to cover up the scar line. I'm just a bit worried that it may puncture my implant.

Tattoo over scar

Tattoo needles are generally quite short and do not penetrate the skin to where the implants are located. 

While a tattoo can help, you should make sure that you go to a reputable, experienced tattoo artist to reduce the risk of infection. As an alternative, you can also try scar treatments such as silicone sheeting and silicone gel. These may help.

Is a Tattoo over Breast Augmentation Scars OK?

The tattoo needles penetrate no deeper than the skin, so puncturing the implant would be very unlikely. However, contamination with bacteria could predispose you to a capsular contracture, if not a full-blown infection. 

Find a reputable tattoo artist who uses sterile needles and a clean technique. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I do not worry about the tattoo needle rupture your implant but I do worry about possible infection if strict sterile technique is not used during your tattoo process. I would recommend that you try to find a medical tattoo artist who has experience doing areola tattooing after breast reconstruction.

Is very important that you ask your plastic surgeon this important question and cannot rely on the Internet advice.

Yes it's generally ok

It should be safe if you choose a reputable tattoo artist and location. I would consider waiting a full year for scar remodeling before doing it. Keep in mind that the implants continue to change over time and the location and look of your tattoo can change as well. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo over scar

Covering scars with a tattoo has become quite common and should be safe as long as you go to a reputable tattoo artist and they use proper instrumentation. I suggest checking in with your plastic surgeon before you proceed. He/she can give you better information based on your specific anatomy.  Better safe than sorry. 

Mary Gingrass, MD