Do Athletic Breasts take longer to drop? (photo)

I am an athletic woman who probably has stronger than normal pectoral muscles (especially on my right breast) and I was wondering if athletic women with stronger/tighter breast muscles will take longer to "drop and fluff" or would it actually help them drop faster? No clue.

'Athletic breasts' do not impact your settling

as your procedure should have entailed the standard releases.  You look very normal for an early post-op augmentation and you can ask your surgeon for any maneuvers to help soften and settle them sooner.

Do Athletic Breasts take longer to drop

There are many factors that go into healing with respect to time and final outcome following breast augmentation surgery. The quality of the skin overlying the breasts plays a role as does the muscle. There are different techniques that can affect the muscle and in addition to having a strong muscle, muscles are not always equal in shape, origin, or how they relate to the overlying breast. It can take 3 to 6 months to see final results and sometimes even longer.

Do athletic breasts take longer to drop?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Usually, final results may not be seen for approximately 3-6 months.

Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after bthis time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Drop and Fluff

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

You will know the final shape of your breasts after a year.

Do Athletic Breasts take longer to drop?

The use of large round implants for breast augmentation tend to go through an "ugly duckling" period right after surgery. It can take several months for your pockets to stretch and your implants to settle. Be patient. Things will get better. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes. 

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Breast Augmentation: information

Dear Ms. Angieboss1,
Thank you for your story, questions and photos. Unfortunately with out a exam of your tissues I can can only comment based your photos.

In my experience the larger the pectoralis muscle the longer for it to stretch and thus the breast to "seat". It may take several months to "seat".

Several techniques can help:
1) elastic breast strap over the top of your breasts
2)Massage the implants in a circlular fashion 5 x day for 5 min until they "seat".
3)"tabel top" massage place a towel on a tabel top, place your breasts on towel and 
rotate your chest in a circular manner.
4)Make a follow up appointment with your Plastic Surgeon and him/her their suggestions and advice.

I trust that you have chosen a Plastic Surgeons who is experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Drop and Fluff

I've never heard of 'athletic breasts', but having strong pectorals muscle will not affect drop and fluff. You should be patient, as you appear to be early out from your surgery.  Expect 6 to 9 months before you are completely developed.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

With a properly done submuscular breast augment the upper half of the implant is covered by muscle, the lower half is not. The muscle gives no support to the implants. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Athletic women

Thank you for your question and providing a photo. I tell all my patients it takes 4-5 months for implants to fully settle and all the swelling to resolve. I find that women who have very developed Pectoral muscles do take longer to settle when a sub muscular placement is performed. Best of luck

How Long does it take Breast Implants to Drop?

When performing a breast augmentation the surgeon creates an exact pocket for the implant which is centered under your nipple. The implant location is usually verified by sitting the woman up on the operating room table before ending the operation and closing. After surgery there will be some swelling and pectoral muscle irritation which may lift the implants but they usually come down in 1-3 weeks. However,if the pockets were planned too high such implants will not settle and another operation extending the pockets will be required. 

The position of the implant in a partial muscle pocket is used to cover implant ripples not to hold the implants in place. The thickness of the pectoral muscles does not keep the implants high much like a pocket turned upside down cannot keep the change in the picket or a taco regardless of its thickness can hold on to its contents if it is turned upside down. 

I recommend you discuss this with your surgeon. 

Good Luck

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN