How Long Do I Have to Wait to Exercise Again After Lipo?

Exercise after Liposuction

Exercise Guidelines after Liposuction
Information about Liposuction Recovery
Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction including Smart Lipo and other lipo techniques.
As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first few days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.  Much of the swelling and bruising will be improved within two weeks; however, some will persist for six to eight weeks.  It is often difficult to see permanent changes in the body shape before this time.
Most patients are instructed to wear an elastic garment from four to six weeks to help with skin shrinkage. Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended.
Normal activity may be resumed at 2 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed.

exercise again after lipo

Interesting question. You really should ONLY follow your surgeon's protocol. With that said the time frame between operation and returning to exercising depends upon the following: !. Which type of liposuction techniques or combination therefore, 2. Your own medical history, 3. surgeon's protocol, 4. Amount removed. So you see the answer to your question is dependent upon the actual procedure on each individual. On average the answer is 1 week. From MIAMI DR. B

Liposuction patients can start walking the very next day.

Recovery is so quick with the tumescent liposuction under local anesthesia that patients walk out after the easy procedure and can begin strenuous exercise in 1 week.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercising after Liposuction

Opinions about when a patient can/should resume excersining after liposuction will vary. Liposuction tubes remove fat by being passed expertly through fat infiltrated with a wetting (IE tumescent) solution allowing a powerful vacuum to rip it and remove the fat. Doing so with only wetting solution as opposed to doing it with tumescent solution supplemented, when needed by OTHER modes of anesthesia, does NOT change the amount of trauma the liposuction steel tubes and the vacuum inflict when removing the same volume of fat. Claiming that a liposuction tube handled by a NON-Plastic surgeon forced to only operate with tumescent solution is somehow "gentler" is as misleading and idiotic as acclaiming that the identical 45 caliber bullet shot through a Colt pistol is somehow "gentler" than the same bullet shot through a Smith and Wesson pistol. Pure, self promotional BS. As regards the exercise, to minimize long lasting swelling, it is best to resume slowly and do so after the initial swelling begins to subside. I would wait 2-4 weeks. Good Luck. Dr. Aldea

Largely a judgement call by your personal surgeon.

I do pure tumescent liposuction.  Patients are wide awake for the procedure.  Typically people return to their work out in 2 days.  However, many liposuctions are done under general anesthesia and are much more traumatic.  Your surgeon will advise you based on their experience with their procedure and the degree of trauma they typically cause.  For this reason, it is very important to follow the advice of the surgeon doing your procedure.

After Liposuction I like my patients to wait two weeks before starting to exercise again

While it is highly unlikely that you would bleed and develop a hematoma in the areas of your liposuction, I feel that the risk remains during the first 2 weeks after the procedure. I allow my patients to restart exercise at two weeks but ask them to refrain from anything that might cause their body to be hit or banged for at least two months. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Exercising after Liposuction

Thank you for your question.  I generally ask that patients refrain from any exercising and/or heavy lifting for four weeks following their liposuction surgery.  With that said, there is no universal rule or universal consensus among surgeons regarding when patients can begin exercising following a cosmetic surgical procedure.  Each surgeon has their own specific philosophy and post-operative protocol and for this reason it is important that patients defer to their operating surgeon's recommendations when it comes to the recovery process.  Your surgeon is most familiar with your procedure, the technique employed, and your medical history, and as such they are best qualified to answer this question.  I hope this helps!

Wait--discuss with PS before resuming physical activities!

Liposuction recovery varies from patient to patient.We generally recommend that patients take a week off from work following this procedure. Occasionally, patients are able to return to work even sooner. Patients usually resume all their normal activities within six weeks following surgery without restrictions.

We feel that exercise facilitates recovery, and because of this, we encourage physical activity.However, strenuous activity and heavy lifting are usually avoided for five to six weeks following liposuction.Before resuming strenuous physical activity, it’s important to contact your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation based on your post-operative progress.

About a week

Moderate exercise can be resumed after one week, depending on the size of the area and how many areas are involved. You should ask your surgeon, though.

It's OK to workout 1 week after surgery

I recommend patients can begin to start increased activity at one week out after liposuction - although recommendations amongst surgeons can vary greatly.  While I don't restrict patients from any type of activity after one week, I do reinforce that the more activity you engage in, the longer and more persisten the swelling will be.  I don't feel this harms the ultimate result, but you will be swollen for a longer period of time.

Samuel Sohn, MD