How Long Should I Wait to Buy New Bras After Breast Implants?

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and loving my new boobs!!! I am sooo tired of these sports bras though and wondering how long before I should start buying new bras? They look like they are dropping quite well, one more so than the other but that is normal. I know that they say could have swelling for several months but surely I am not expected to wear these silly sports bras forvever!!! 475cc Saline under the muscle is what I got, increased me from 32B to 34DD (sized today)

When to bra shop following breast augmentation

This is a great question! Let me start by saying congratulations! I typically will request my patients to wait 4 weeks following surgery before bra shopping begins. This is to ensure a majority of the swelling has subsided. Swelling will still be present at this point, although not enough to really alter your new bra size when shopping. I encourage my patients to take there time and really enjoy the process as it is not uncommon to find not only your size has changed but also the style of bra you enjoy wearing as well! I always discuss with my patients the realization that not every bra style and size is the same between stores so finding the shopping experience a little more taxing at first is perfectly normal. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the new you whether in clothes or a bathing suite or nothing at all, as it is not the cup size that defines your happiness rather it is how you feel with nothing on. I encourage you to follow up with your plastic surgeon for their specific recommendations as every surgeon is different and you may find the added information beneficial when starting your shopping experience. I do hope you have found this information helpful and wish you luck!

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Shopping for bra after breast augmentation

Every one reacts differently. As a rule, 4-6 weeks should be enough time. I do tell my breast augmentation patients to just buy a few bras at week 4-6 and get more after a few more weeks just in case if the breast size changed again.

And finally, don't forget to donate your old bras to the needy. Enjoy your new breasts in good health.

Richard Hodnett, MD

Wait for the implants to mature

At one month you can buy a few bras, preferably without underwires.  The breast shape and size will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  I would not replace your entire wardrobe until it has been at least 6 months.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

After Three to Four Months

Aftre three to four months, your breasts will have “dropped and fluffed” , meaning they will have settled and look more natural. You should go shopping then to find a better fitting bra.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Shopping for new bras after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  As a general rule, I request that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for four weeks after surgery.  After this time, patients can begin to transition into other bras but I caution patients from going out and buying a ton of fancy, expensive bras until they are roughly three months post-op.  I recommend that patients purchase a few bras once they are 4-6 weeks out from surgery and wait to purchase a bunch more until their implants are fully settled.  I hope this helps and good luck with your new breasts!

Stephen T. Greenberg, MD
Woodbury Plastic Surgeon

Bra shopping after breast augmentation

Sounds like you are progressing well after your breast augmentation.  congratulations.  I generally clear my patients to go shopping 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  But please check with your PS for his/her recommendations.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Bra Usage Following Breast Augmentation

In the vast majority of patients we utilize an athletic support bra for about three weeks following surgery. This helps minimize swelling and makes patients more comfortable. It also decreases the potential for displacement of the new breast implants within the newly formed pocket. At three weeks patients are able to switch to a standard bra without an underwire. After six to eight weeks, wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue. In most breast augmentation patients, it’s reasonable to resume the use of an underwire bra at this time.
It’s important to realize that the decision to use a sports bra following surgery depends on multiple factors. Each patient needs to be considered individually based on the specifics of their surgical procedure. Discuss this issue with your surgeon and he will be able to give you insight regarding when you will be able to buy new bras.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Buy New Bras In These Stages

The patient can return to a wired bra (and buy new ones) once the incision has healed. This is typically at 4 to 6 weeks. By this time, the patient will have had their one-month follow up, so they can confirm with their doctor. 

By 4 to 6 weeks, the majority of swelling will have decreased as well.

You should have your final result at about 3 to 6 months after the procedure. So don't spend your entire bra budget at week 4.

I hope that answers your question on when to buy new bras. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Ready to shop!

Hello Best Money Ever Spent (Great User Name!), You can shop now, I just wouldn't make any La Perla/Agent Provocateur type investments quite yet. You still have another few months they may change and even if your breast size stays the same, how your bras fit may vary. Underwires are usually okay after a month, but you must heed your surgeon's direction on that. Recommendations are based on specifics related to your case, they may have their reasons for keeping you in a sports bra this long. Talk to them, then go shopping!

William Aiello, MD

Bra shopping

You should probably wait about 5-6 months, just to make sure your implants have dropped. I provide a longer than usual wait time because it sounds like your implants are quite large, which may contribute to a longer recovery period. Better ask your surgeon, though. 

Ronald Levine, MD