How Long Should I Wait to Buy New Bras After Breast Implants?

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and loving my new boobs!!! I am sooo tired of these sports bras though and wondering how long before I should start buying new bras? They look like they are dropping quite well, one more so than the other but that is normal. I know that they say could have swelling for several months but surely I am not expected to wear these silly sports bras forvever!!! 475cc Saline under the muscle is what I got, increased me from 32B to 34DD (sized today)

When to bra shop following breast augmentation

This is a great question! Let me start by saying congratulations! I typically will request my patients to wait 4 weeks following surgery before bra shopping begins. This is to ensure a majority of the swelling has subsided. Swelling will still be present at this point, although not enough to really alter your new bra size when shopping. I encourage my patients to take there time and really enjoy the process as it is not uncommon to find not only your size has changed but also the style of bra you enjoy wearing as well! I always discuss with my patients the realization that not every bra style and size is the same between stores so finding the shopping experience a little more taxing at first is perfectly normal. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the new you whether in clothes or a bathing suite or nothing at all, as it is not the cup size that defines your happiness rather it is how you feel with nothing on. I encourage you to follow up with your plastic surgeon for their specific recommendations as every surgeon is different and you may find the added information beneficial when starting your shopping experience. I do hope you have found this information helpful and wish you luck!

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Shopping for bra after breast augmentation

Every one reacts differently. As a rule, 4-6 weeks should be enough time. I do tell my breast augmentation patients to just buy a few bras at week 4-6 and get more after a few more weeks just in case if the breast size changed again.

And finally, don't forget to donate your old bras to the needy. Enjoy your new breasts in good health.

Richard Hodnett, MD

Bra shopping after breast augmentation

Sounds like you are progressing well after your breast augmentation.  congratulations.  I generally clear my patients to go shopping 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  But please check with your PS for his/her recommendations.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Bra shopping

You should probably wait about 5-6 months, just to make sure your implants have dropped. I provide a longer than usual wait time because it sounds like your implants are quite large, which may contribute to a longer recovery period. Better ask your surgeon, though. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Shopping for new bras after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  As a general rule, I request that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for four weeks after surgery.  After this time, patients can begin to transition into other bras but I caution patients from going out and buying a ton of fancy, expensive bras until they are roughly three months post-op.  I recommend that patients purchase a few bras once they are 4-6 weeks out from surgery and wait to purchase a bunch more until their implants are fully settled.  I hope this helps and good luck with your new breasts!

Wait for the implants to mature

At one month you can buy a few bras, preferably without underwires.  The breast shape and size will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  I would not replace your entire wardrobe until it has been at least 6 months.

After Three to Four Months

Aftre three to four months, your breasts will have “dropped and fluffed” , meaning they will have settled and look more natural. You should go shopping then to find a better fitting bra.

Give time for implants to drop into place

I usually tell my patients they can start looking at new bras at one month post operative, but to keep in mind that it can take up to 3 months for implants to drop into place.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

4 to 6 weeks out after breast augmentation surgery is a good time to buy a couple of new bras. Don't try to replace all of your bras all at once as there will still be some changes over the next several weeks. Congratulations on your breast augmentation surgery. 

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Breast Implants

Hi, thank you for your question. I tell my patients they can enjoy going bra shopping six weeks post breast augmentation. It's best to follow the instructions of the plastic surgeon who performed your augmentation. Enjoy your new results! 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon