How Long Should I Wait to Buy New Bras After Breast Implants?

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and loving my new boobs!!! I am sooo tired of these sports bras though and wondering how long before I should start buying new bras? They look like they are dropping quite well, one more so than the other but that is normal. I know that they say could have swelling for several months but surely I am not expected to wear these silly sports bras forvever!!! 475cc Saline under the muscle is what I got, increased me from 32B to 34DD (sized today)

When to bra shop following breast augmentation

This is a great question! Let me start by saying congratulations! I typically will request my patients to wait 4 weeks following surgery before bra shopping begins. This is to ensure a majority of the swelling has subsided. Swelling will still be present at this point, although not enough to really alter your new bra size when shopping. I encourage my patients to take there time and really enjoy the process as it is not uncommon to find not only your size has changed but also the style of bra you enjoy wearing as well! I always discuss with my patients the realization that not every bra style and size is the same between stores so finding the shopping experience a little more taxing at first is perfectly normal. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the new you whether in clothes or a bathing suite or nothing at all, as it is not the cup size that defines your happiness rather it is how you feel with nothing on. I encourage you to follow up with your plastic surgeon for their specific recommendations as every surgeon is different and you may find the added information beneficial when starting your shopping experience. I do hope you have found this information helpful and wish you luck!

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Shopping for bra after breast augmentation

Every one reacts differently. As a rule, 4-6 weeks should be enough time. I do tell my breast augmentation patients to just buy a few bras at week 4-6 and get more after a few more weeks just in case if the breast size changed again.

And finally, don't forget to donate your old bras to the needy. Enjoy your new breasts in good health.

Richard Hodnett, MD

Wait for the implants to mature

At one month you can buy a few bras, preferably without underwires.  The breast shape and size will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  I would not replace your entire wardrobe until it has been at least 6 months.

After Three to Four Months

Aftre three to four months, your breasts will have “dropped and fluffed” , meaning they will have settled and look more natural. You should go shopping then to find a better fitting bra.

Bra shopping after breast augmentation

Sounds like you are progressing well after your breast augmentation.  congratulations.  I generally clear my patients to go shopping 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  But please check with your PS for his/her recommendations.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Shopping for new bras after breast implants

Thank you for your question.  As a general rule, I request that my patients wear a light weight compression sports bra for four weeks after surgery.  After this time, patients can begin to transition into other bras but I caution patients from going out and buying a ton of fancy, expensive bras until they are roughly three months post-op.  I recommend that patients purchase a few bras once they are 4-6 weeks out from surgery and wait to purchase a bunch more until their implants are fully settled.  I hope this helps and good luck with your new breasts!

Bra shopping

You should probably wait about 5-6 months, just to make sure your implants have dropped. I provide a longer than usual wait time because it sounds like your implants are quite large, which may contribute to a longer recovery period. Better ask your surgeon, though. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Give time for implants to drop into place

I usually tell my patients they can start looking at new bras at one month post operative, but to keep in mind that it can take up to 3 months for implants to drop into place.

Mark W. Greene, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bra Usage Following Breast Augmentation

In the vast majority of patients we utilize an athletic support bra for about three weeks following surgery. This helps minimize swelling and makes patients more comfortable. It also decreases the potential for displacement of the new breast implants within the newly formed pocket. At three weeks patients are able to switch to a standard bra without an underwire. After six to eight weeks, wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue. In most breast augmentation patients, it’s reasonable to resume the use of an underwire bra at this time.
It’s important to realize that the decision to use a sports bra following surgery depends on multiple factors. Each patient needs to be considered individually based on the specifics of their surgical procedure. Discuss this issue with your surgeon and he will be able to give you insight regarding when you will be able to buy new bras.

When is it okay to wear a normal bra after breast implants?

Glad to hear surgery went well and you are happy. Normally once you feel comfortable enough to wear regular bras you can. This will typically be 4 - 6 weeks post surgery. The thing is you probably still have swelling, so should it diminish within the next couple of months, you don't want to be stuck with bras that don't fit. Maybe buy 1 or 2 and wait the full 4 - 6 months for expected results. Have fun shopping !