How long should you sleep elevated after breast augmentation?

I am still sleeping in my recliner, post op 13 days. I am afraid I will rollover on to my belly while sleeping or something. Just curious.

Sleeping in a recliner after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. While every plastic surgeon has their own post op recommendations, 13 days in a recliner seems excessive. I typically tell my patients that sleeping in a recliner may be more comfortable for the first night or two, but after that they can return to bed. Early in the recovery, the recliner is easier to get in and out of, and can be more comfortable. However, this is no longer necessary after a day or two.
Typically, I tell my clients to let their body be its best guide. If it is uncomfortable, then stop what you are doing. Your body is its best protective mechanism, and will keep you from doing harm. After 13 days, you should no longer have concerns about rolling over and damaging anything.
Best of luck with your continued recovery and enjoy your new breasts.
Jeff Rockmore

How long should I sleep on my back after breast augmentation?

Everyone is different with their approach.  Also depends on the placement of the device.  If you are using a hand in glove approach then you should be fine shortly after surgery.Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

You'll have pain before you do anything bad

It may be more comfortable to sleep in the recliner since the first couple degrees of a situp is all chest but, you don't need to sleep in one. I tell my patients to get out of bed by rolling onto their side then throwing their legs off the bed first. This will use more of your oblique muscles and less of your chest. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after breast augmentation

I agree with another surgeon on the forum that I allow my patients to sleep in any position that is comfortable.  Let pain guide you in your recovery.....if it hurts then don't do it.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping and position after breast augmentation

I usually do not fret over sleeping position after a breast augmentation.  I allow patients to sleep in whichever position is comfortable. Best to ask your surgeon.

You don't have to sleep elevated

I recommend that patients sleep on their back or side after surgery and wear their supportive sports bra or compression bra day and night for the first eight weeks. However, please ask your surgeon for their advice since they may have different advice.

Sleeping with breast augments

After 13 days you should not be concerned. I always insist that patients wear a support bra day and night for 6 weeks but I would check with your PS

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping after breast augmentation

Hi. At this stage you can sleep normally rather than elevated - it is whatever is comfortable. If you normally sleep on your front it will still be tender at this stage - most people take 3 months or so to be able to lie on their front after breast augmentation.

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon