How Long Do Injectable Fillers REALLY Last?

I'm interested in filling my undereye hollows, nasolabial folds and a set of lines outside of those, marionette lines, and a little bit in my chin and cheekbones if there is extra. I'm trying to figure out realistically if I can afford the upkeep. Assuming I'm the "average" patient, what would I be looking at in terms of the average duration of Restylane or Juvederm (very thin skin so I'd prefer one of these) in each of those areas? A full refill in three months, half the amount in 6...?

Full-Face Rejuvenation with Fillers - Cost and Longevity of a Liquid Facelift

It will be difficult for me to answer this without photos, but I will do my best at assuming what you’re requesting. In the ideal situation, we’d of course do an in-person evaluation, which would make this answer accurate for you.

So to start, having concerns with marionette lines, jowls, and nasolabial folds, and so some degree undereye hollows, can all be traced back to a loss of normal fat volume and bone loss in the upper cheek (“cheekbones”). This is a normal part of the aging process. When you lose volume there, the face deflates and excess skin droops down and toward your mouth.

So for deflated cheeks, Juvederm Voluma and Restylane Lyft are the two best products. Typically you want to do 2-3 syringes of these, depending on how deflated you are. A good injector knows how to create amazing lift with less product, so you’ll want to weigh the experience of the injector when considering cost. It may cost more to have a good injector perform the service, but you should expect to be able to use less product and reduce cost in the long run by doing so. Voluma and Lyft will cost approximately $800-1000 per syringe. Most offices do offer multiple-syringe discounts. These products last approximately 2 years.

Now for the dynamic wrinkles and folds around your mouth, as well as for the undereyes, there are 2 new fillers from Restylane called Refyne and Defyne that I think you’re going to love – I know I do. These are a cohesive gel material and are very different than previous filler technology. Instead, these filler work like memory foam – they’re easy to squeeze and very soft, but they go back to their intended shape time and time again. They also stand up better to repeated movement and should last at least 1 year. You might need 1-2+ syringes of these to touch up around the mouth and chin as well as fill under the eyes.  These are only slightly more expensive than a syringe of Juvederm or Restylane and will last twice as long. You should expect about $700-800 per syringe.

Since you’re considering a large investment, I highly recommend you sign up for the rewards programs available from the manufacturers of dermal fillers. This will help you with some rebates to reduce the costs of upkeep.

In response to your note about very thin skin, I would ask your injector to do light subcision of any areas with very thin skin and multiple lines of wrinkles (most patients have a series of lines up the cheek when they smile if they have very thin skin). This subcision, will release the adhesions that cause these wrinkles and help your body to lay down some new collagen and elastin in those areas, and is very easy to do with the needle already being used for injection. In the long run, you could consider Sculptra, which is a different type of dermal filler that works to stimulate collagen growth which will fortify and plump the skin, rather than adding volume.

Livingston Physician

Filler Information

Thank you for your question. It is important to remember that fillers will last differently for everybody. This all depends on what product you use, how much product you are injection, and what area is being treated. It also depends on the individual itself. Here is some information on different types of fillers that you may benefit from.

Bellafill: FDA approved 5 year filler for nasolabial folds and atrophic acne scars
Restylane: Hyaluronic Acid. For lips and moderate to severe wrinkles 6-12 months
Voluma: Hyaluronic Acid. Adds volume in the cheeks. Lasts for up to 2 years
Radiesse: 6-12 months. Severe wrinkles, nasolabial folds, marionette lines

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington 
Oakbrook 
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How long do dermal fillers last?

The longevity of a facial filler depends on the amount injected and the area of the face the product is injected. Products will last the longest beneath the eyes and a shorter amount of time in area of your face where a lot of muscle movement (like nasolabial folds) occurs. Restylane and Juvederm last between 6 and 12 months. Voluma lasts 24 months. It sounds like you are interested in all over facial rejuvenation- I would recommend considering Sculptra  to achieve the desired result. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Results from fillers

This depends on the type of filler used and your unique physiology. Usually, you can expect results to last about 6 months to a year or so, while reports about Voluma improvement may last up to 18 months. Cost varies and is usually per syringe, ranging from $600-$1300 in the Toronto, Ontario area.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Restylane and other fillers

How long do filler lasts?  The companies report that Restylane lasts 6months, Perlane 9m onths, Juvederm ultra 6 months, Juvederm ultra plus 9 months and all may last slightly longer.

How long does Restylane or Juvederm last?

The aesthetic results from hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm last 4-12 months.  The large variability depends on the area or areas being treated (the filler breaks down quicker in areas of increase movement), each individual's own variability in breaking down the filler and the small differences in the different fillers.  For most patients, the results will last 9-12 months or even longer for some individuals.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

How long do fillers "really last"?

The hyaluronic acid based fillers you mentioned generally last about 1 year with a single injection.  Full correction is maintained at least six months and is perceptible for nine months.  There is some individual variation from patient to patient and also between areas - the more mobile the area the less the correction will persist.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler longevity

We are fortunate to have an ever-expanding array of fillers available for facial rejuvenation.  Each filler brings with it unique characteristics and duration of longevity.  In general Juvederm and Restylane last about a year, and perhaps longer in some instances.  Be sure to discuss your goals with your Plastic Surgeon to help guide filler selection and achieve your optimal result. 

John K. Wakelin III, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon