How Long Do Injectable Fillers REALLY Last?

I'm interested in filling my undereye hollows, nasolabial folds and a set of lines outside of those, marionette lines, and a little bit in my chin and cheekbones if there is extra. I'm trying to figure out realistically if I can afford the upkeep. Assuming I'm the "average" patient, what would I be looking at in terms of the average duration of Restylane or Juvederm (very thin skin so I'd prefer one of these) in each of those areas? A full refill in three months, half the amount in 6...?

Filler Information

Thank you for your question. It is important to remember that fillers will last differently for everybody. This all depends on what product you use, how much product you are injection, and what area is being treated. It also depends on the individual itself. Here is some information on different types of fillers that you may benefit from.

Bellafill: FDA approved 5 year filler for nasolabial folds and atrophic acne scars
Restylane: Hyaluronic Acid. For lips and moderate to severe wrinkles 6-12 months
Voluma: Hyaluronic Acid. Adds volume in the cheeks. Lasts for up to 2 years
Radiesse: 6-12 months. Severe wrinkles, nasolabial folds, marionette lines

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington 
Oakbrook 
Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How long do dermal fillers last?

The longevity of a facial filler depends on the amount injected and the area of the face the product is injected. Products will last the longest beneath the eyes and a shorter amount of time in area of your face where a lot of muscle movement (like nasolabial folds) occurs. Restylane and Juvederm last between 6 and 12 months. Voluma lasts 24 months. It sounds like you are interested in all over facial rejuvenation- I would recommend considering Sculptra  to achieve the desired result. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Results from fillers

This depends on the type of filler used and your unique physiology. Usually, you can expect results to last about 6 months to a year or so, while reports about Voluma improvement may last up to 18 months. Cost varies and is usually per syringe, ranging from $600-$1300 in the Toronto, Ontario area.

Restylane and other fillers

How long do filler lasts?  The companies report that Restylane lasts 6months, Perlane 9m onths, Juvederm ultra 6 months, Juvederm ultra plus 9 months and all may last slightly longer.

How long does Restylane or Juvederm last?

The aesthetic results from hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm last 4-12 months.  The large variability depends on the area or areas being treated (the filler breaks down quicker in areas of increase movement), each individual's own variability in breaking down the filler and the small differences in the different fillers.  For most patients, the results will last 9-12 months or even longer for some individuals.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

How long do fillers "really last"?

The hyaluronic acid based fillers you mentioned generally last about 1 year with a single injection.  Full correction is maintained at least six months and is perceptible for nine months.  There is some individual variation from patient to patient and also between areas - the more mobile the area the less the correction will persist.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon