How Long Does Botox Take to Work?

I am 24. My frown lines are very deep especially for my age. I had botox twice. I am not able to frown, however, I have not seen a difference in my frown lines. My dermatologist did not want to give me more than 20 units. Do I just need more Botox or another treatment? I have had the lines Since I was 22.

Botox Usually Takes Affect Within 2-3 Days

Botox usually takes its affect within 2-3 days after the injection, and it can take up to 1-2 weeks for the full effect to be seen. None of the toxins on the market have FDA approval to say how fast they work, although studies have been done which basically say that Dysport may take affect in 2 days, Botox and Xeomin within 3 days. Obviously, everyone is different and you may have a different onset. We tell our patients to return at 2 weeks to make sure that the injections did what we wanted, and sometimes, we give more toxin to maximize the results.

If you still have lines present in your frown areas after the injections have taken affect, then you, your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, should discuss other treatment options, most of which will be the use of hyaluronic acid fillers into the area where you still have lines, usually Restylane, Juvederm, or Belotero.

Make sure you work with a skilled provider and injector to maximize your results.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Mechanism

Botox works on dynamic wrinkles - those are wrinkles what occur with contraction of your muscle underneath your skin.  If you have static wrinkles - those that are there even at rest, then you may need a combination of Botox and dermal filler to achieve the best results.  Over time, with continued use of Botox, you may see a marked improvement in the static wrinkles as well.

Good Luck.

Botox Mechanism

Good Luck.

Botox Time Frame

Typically, you can start to see the effects of botox in 3-5 days. It can take up to two weeks for you to see the full effects.

Botox Time Frame

2-3 days

Most patients will start experiencing a heaviness sensation in the first 24 hours.  By 48-72 hours most patients will start noticing that the muscles that were injected are no longer responding "normally".  Most people will have the full effect by 1 week, but it may take up to 2 weeks.  In my experience, these first couple weeks are the most "intense", especially in a newbie to Botox.  You may not be used to the sensation and feeling of your facial muscles not responding normally.  New patients tend to perseverate on this and are always looking in the mirror checking their degree of relaxation.  If you were to just go about your normal day, you would probably not even notice a change.  

At 1 month you probably have hit the sweet spot.  For sure the total effect has hit by now, and in most people it has dulled down or regressed just enough that things are feeling more natural.  We then see that at the 2 month and then 3 month mark we are slowly getting back more and more motion.  By 3-4 months Botox has usually worn off and full animation of the facial muscles has returned.  

In your particular case, it is unusual that your frown lines are so deep at such a young age.  However, if you really have no motion with frowning and still have lines, you will likely need to speak to your surgeon about fillers to start reversing those deeper lines.  

Hope this helps!

2-3 days

Hope this helps!

Botox

Botox generally takes effect after 2-7 days, however, it can take as long as 14 days to see the effect.

Botox

How Long Does Botox Take to Work?

The answer to this question surprises many patients as they think it will be working right after they get their injection. Botox, like any drug, takes a while to be effective. The reason is that the protein that is in Botox and is the essential part of the drug has to be absorbed into the nerve, transported down the nerve, and then bound to nerve endings where it works by blocking the release of a chemical that makes your muscle contract.

All of that takes 3 to 10 days depending upon the patient.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

How Long Does Botox Take to Work?

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Frown lines and Botox

Botox usually takes about a week to work and then lasts for several months.  The lines may take several treatments to efface. If they are really bad some filler can be injected (off-label) to help soften them.

Frown lines and Botox

Botox

Botox begins to work immediately and takes about 72 hours to reach significant efficacy. If you are unable to frown, this would indicate to me that the Botox is working. Twenty units is a low amount so it is possible that you might need more product. Without a photograph, it is impossible to evaluate whether Botox was the appropriate treatment for the frown lines as opposed to facial filler.

Botox

Botox for the frown lines

Thank you for your question Sono. I understand your concern. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is difficult to make an assessment without standardized before and after photographs. The pivotal studies done for the frown lines between the brows demonstrated that when 20 units are used the peak effects are seen in 14 days and most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. Some people have such wrinkles at rest, that is even when they are not frowning. In these cases Botox will not make such wrinkles disappear completely. However after a series of treatments every three months the wrinkles get softer over a year or so. It is not uncommon to use a higher dose if the standard dose of 20 units is not sufficient. Recent studies have demonstrated that higher dosing leads to a longer duration of action. Additionally, men generally require higher doses than women. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Botox for the frown lines

How long does it take Botox to work?

Thank you for your question about Botox.  It typically takes 7-10 days to see the effects of Botox once it is injected.  I will often have patients follow up in 2 weeks, because that should be the time it takes to have the full effect of treatment.  At that follow up we can assess the treatment and determine if the patient would need any additional treatment.  Treatments are typically spaced every 3-4 months, as this is how long it typically takes for the muscle movement to return.  That time will vary per patient. 

To be sure, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

How long does it take Botox to work?