How Long After Breast Augmentation Till Breast Start to Feel More Natural?

About 3 weeks ago I received my implants. I went from a small A to I am assuming a full C. Ive been massaging them but am curious as to how long after surgery till they will start to feel more natural or will they never?

When Do Breast Implants Soften and Feel Natural After Breast Augmentation?

Following breast augmentation with implants, it usually takes approximately 6 months before they feel "natural". 

However, just like the scar on the incision line, which takes approximately 12 months to fully mature and soften, the internal scar tissue in the area of surgery and around the breast implant also takes this amount of time to mature and soften. So, the breasts will continue to feel more natural up until one year following the surgery.

Will my breasts look and feel natural?

Thank you for your question. Yes. It is normal that they will feel swollen and firm for the first few weeks after surgery, but they will then settle. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certifiedPlastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Soft breasts after surgery

Thank you for your question. Congrats on the surgery. It may take months for the breasts to soften, and they may never soften to the pre-surgical state. In addition, the greater the implant to breast tissue ratio, the more the implant will affect the longterm firmness (or softness) of the breast. I would exercise patience and see how things change with every few weeks that pass by.

How long after Breast Augmentation Surgery will they feel more natural

Your breast implants will continue to adjust over the first 3 months as the muscle tightness resides. The breasts will appear less firm. Massaging the implants can help accelerate the healing process. In my Jacksonville plastic surgery practice, we recommend massaging the implants after the healing of incision for 2-3 weeks. 

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Several Weeks Required after Augmentation before Final Result Evident

It is not unusual for your breasts to feel unnatural 3 weeks following your augmentation.  There probably is still some edema present.  This and other changes will occur during the next few weeks before you can tell what you final result will be.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast changes after surgery

The breasts wil feel firm and will be swollen just after surgery.  I tell patietns that it takes between 3-6 months for the breasts to look and feel normal in  most cases.

6-8 weeks til breast implants feel normal

In most of my patients they are close to their final result by 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Some quicker, some longer but most in that range.

Breast implant massage

In our Santa Rosa, California plastic surgery practice we tell our patients that sometime around 2 months after surgery they will start to feel like their implant are softer and more natural. They should feel like your own breasts and this usually happens around 3 months after surgery.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

It depends on how much tissue you have to begin with and how big your implants are. If you were small, ie. an A cup and you went to a C, I would assume there is a fair degree of tightness of you breast. This usually takes 6 weeks to 3 months to soften as your breast actually has to grow to accommodate the volume of the implant. Once this happens and the implant settles your breast will look and feel more natural.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

IT takes at least 3 months and up to 9 months for breast to feel normal after augmentation.

IT takes at least 3 months and up to 9 months for breast to feel normal after augmentation with breast implants.