Is it possible lipedema is returning post liposuction?
Doctor Answers 3
Swelling After Ankle Lipedema Liposuction
Lipedema after liposuction surgery
Thank you for your question. You should follow up with your surgeon to discuss any new symptoms you may be having. It is important to keep them informed of any new symptoms or recurring ones. Please be sure to seek medical help from a professional. Thank you and best wishes.
Liposuction to treat lipidema of lower legs
- Lipidema a non-medical term (not recognized in peer reviewed PubMed searches) meaning excessive fat, usually seen in the lower legs, sometimes the arms.
- It is more common in women.
- Lipidema is a diagnosis of exclusion - the veins, arteries, circulation and lymphatics have to be shown to be normal as they are more common causes of leg swelling.
- If your swelling after liposuction is less in the morning, worse in the evening, it is not fat returning but excess fluid.
- Knee high, custom made Jobst or other compression stockings will reduce the swelling and improve the circulation.
- Even with these it may take 6 - 18 months for ankle swelling to subside after lower leg surgery.
- If you are overweight, while waiting for the swelling to subside, see if leg weights and calorie restriction lead to better circulation and loss of fat from the legs.
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.