My daughter has a 10mm overjet, 5mm overbite and a narrow upper arch. Damon Braces or Invisalign?

My daughter has a 10mm overjet, 5mm overbite and a narrow upper arch. Last year she was told she needed braces for 3 months to straighten her teeth for a twin block appliance which she would wear for 9 months, however, she never wore it. We went to see a private orthodontist who assessed her and said she could either have invisalign and elastics for 2 years, or damon braces and elastics for 18 months. Which one would be better for her?

Invisalign or Damon Braces

Hi there,
I think you went to a good Orthodontist. Both options sound excellent so you will need to decide which is going to be the best for your daughter. Something to take into account when making the decision for her are going to be is how compliant she can be with wearing her Invisalign trays for 22+ hours per day. You mentioned that she never wore her appliance, so she may struggle to keep those Invisalign trays in that many hours for two years.  Good luck to you guys! I know youll make a great decision.

Issaquah Orthodontist

Damon vs inivsalign

Wrong question!
Asking if Invisalign or damon should be used is like asking if you should use a wrench or a screwdriver to fix your car....these things are just tools. Every tool is good for some things and not others...and just for your information, damon is just name for a particular company's type of regular braces...they d NOTHING more or less than all the other types of braces that are being used ( they do cost more however!)
The right question is: "what needs to be done to correct the problem and then determine what the best tool for this correction is

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Braces vs Invisalign with moderate to servere Overjet / Overbite

In my experience, I have had better results using braces (Damon or other brands) then Invisalign when correcting moderate to severe overjet and overbite problems.  Additionally, if your child did not wear their phase I appliance (twin block), they may not wear their Invisalign.  From your description, I would probably not recommend Invisalign.  I would consult with your orthodontist to find out the pros and cons of each for your daughter's case.

Ben Fishbein, DDS
Pensacola Orthodontist