If 6 liters of fat is removed, how many lbs of weight is that?

One liter of fat is about 2 pounds

You need to know how much of the 6 liters is fat and how much is fluid that the surgeon injected.  Surgeons inject different volumes of fluid, some more ("tumescent"), some less ("superwet").  If your surgeon injects large amounts it is likely that the volume removed will also contain a lot of fluid.   This makes the volume higher than if you are just measuring fat.  I use the superwet technique.  Only about 10% of the volume removed is fluid; the rest is all fat.  One liter of fat weighs about 2 pounds.  This means that you had about 12 pounds of fat removed (or less if there was a lot of fluid).  That is a large amount of fat.  It's not like just dropping your weight 12 pounds because this is subcutaneous fat in specific body areas.  So it will probably look like you lost more than 12 pounds, once the swelling subsides.  I included a link to this part of my website so you can look at results in patients with similar liposuction volumes.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does Aspirated Fat Weigh?

The aspirate removed during liposuction consists of both fat and fluid. Initially it is mixed together. If the aspirate is allowed to settle, it will separate into a fluid layer on the bottom, and a fat layer on the top. The fluid layer consists mostly of some portion of the wetting solution (saline i.v. fluid, lidocaine, and epinephrine) that was injected, as well as a small amount of blood. The amount of fluid in the aspirate may depend upon how much wetting solution was injected at the beginning of the procedure. The more wetting solution injected, the more fluid will likely be aspirated along with the fat. For me personally, I find that about 10 to15% of the total volume of aspirate is fluid, and the rest is aspirated fat.

What ultimately matters is how much fat is removed. If your surgeon has communicated the “total aspirate” as 6 L, then less than 6 L of fat has been removed. You would need to know how much fluid was removed so you could calculate how much fat was in the aspirate. If your surgeon was referring only to “aspirated fat”, then it truly is 6 L.

The weight of 6 L of pure fat aspirate, is --
The density of fat is 0.918 gm/cm3 (slightly less than the density of water 1 gr/ cm3)
1 cm3 = 1 cc = 1 mL
6 L fat = 6000 cc fat
6000 cc fat x 0.9 gm/cc = 5400 gr fat
5400 gr fat = 5.4 kg fat
1 kg = 2.20462 pounds
5.4 kg fat x 2.2 pounds/kg = 11.9 pounds

Liposuction is a body contouring operation and not a weight loss operation. Although patients always want to know how much fat was removed, and how much that fat weighs, patients do not usually experience large changes in body weight following liposuction.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Weight of fat removed

Very roughly, 3 pounds. Liposuction is done to change contour. It is not a weight loss procedure. Hope this helps.

1 liter of water is 2.2 pounds.  The calculation is different with fat... however, it also depends on how much tumescent fluid was also removed during the procedure.  So I generally average and tell my patients each liter is about 2 pounds of fat.  So, 6 liters of fat is probably around 12 pounds.  That is quite a lot!  

Joshua Kreithen, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

The weight of fat

One liter of fat is usually around 2 pounds. While liposuction changes the contour of the body and is not intended as a method of weight loss.

Weight of Liposuction Fat Aspirate

While the 6 liters you are referring to is actually not pure fat but better described as fat aspirate (which is a combination of fat, tumescent fluid and blood), the general rule is that 1 liter of fat aspirate equals 2 lbs. (based on that 1 gallon of water = 8 lbs and there are roughly 3.8 Liters per gallon)

How much weight is 6 liters of fat?

First of all, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing: what comes OUT from liposuction is called aspirate. If the surgeon allows it to settle, there will be a fluid layer, and a fat layer. the fluid layer is mostly the fluid that we injected in (saline, lidocaine, epinephrine) as well as a little blood, so really that doesn't mean anything to you as a patient. The fat part is what really matters. So, you need to be careful if you are asking about 6 liters of aspirate, or 6 liters of fat. Assuming that you really mean 6 liters of fat, then that would be 14.4 pounds.

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

6 liters of fat removed

6 liters of fat is 6 kgs of fat which is about13 lbs however liposuction does not always correspond exactly with the amount of fat removal because some material removed is fluid.