Can Liposuction Reduce Sagging Skin and Fat Left After C-section?

I had two C-Sections back to back 4 years ago. This left fat and sagging skin on my abdomen and fat on my hips. Is it okay to undergo liposuction for this? If so, which type would be best?

Can Liposuction Reduce Sagging Skin and Fat Left After C-section

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very possible that liposuction can reduce the #sagging skin following a #c-section. However, it is difficult to assess what would be best for you via online photos. An ideal  #candidate for Vaser Liposuction is a person in good health who seeks a minimally invasive way to remove stubborn fat with less downtime than traditional #liposuction.  Vaser is ideal for those seeking improved definition of muscles and contouring.  Those who seek increased sculpting of are ideal vaser lipo candidates.

Depending on the amount of excess skin, a tummy tuck may also be something to consider. Over the years, surgeons have improved procedures and found ways to eliminate the need for #drains commonly used in a #tummy #tuck or #abdominoplasty, and a variety of other operations. I have found that most of my patients do very well with the exception of those have large areas of liposuction or lipo-abdominoplasty. Any extra fluid may be reabsorbed back into the body without the use of drains.  I may use drains on a case by case basis for these patients. If you go to a plastic #surgeon who uses drains, or if your situation requires drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. The use of tissue #glue is to adhere the abdominal #skin to the #muscle. It is a new option and alternative to sutures in a tummy tuck. Vaser #liposuction may also be applied depending on your situation and if deemed a candidate to combine both procedures. 
Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Seeking the right doctor and gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will be much specific to without viewing photographs or in-person evaluation. However, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. The tummy tuck operation serves to re approximate muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, remove "excess" skin/adipose tissue (often overhanging C-section scars) and further contour the abdominal wall, with tools such as liposuction surgery.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides.
You will also hear/read about mini tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion/experience, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
Again, for the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may find the attached link/video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Liposuction and mini tummy tuck should make your stomach look a lot better.

Hi.

This is a very common problem after C sections. Fortunately, liposuction and a little mini tummy tuck (like an extensive scar revision) work very well with short recovery. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy Tuck

Big Mom,

You can have liposuction but this will not correct your wrinkling skin. Since your skin and abdominal muscles have been stretched by pregnancies then an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) will give you the correction you desire.

Good luck.

Liposuction and sagging skin

Liposuction would definitely help improve the subcutaneous fat component but may increase your chances of further laxity and hanging skin.  You may be better off having a consultation for a possible tummy tuck.

Lipo for the hips

Liposuction is an excellent answer for your hips. However, the excess skin in your abdomen will require excision. Cilinical exam would determine the extent of all these procedures and if you could benefit from a mini-tummy tuck . Good Luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Consider a tummy tuck

Liposuction is really "Fat" "suction" when you break the meaning of the term down. It has little effect upon skin. If skin is a large part of the problem for you, liposuction is not going to help much.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon