Lumps and Indentation After Liposuction

I had Liposuction on my outer thighs about a year and a half ago. The results were unsatisfactory, and I'm left with indentations and lumps. Can this be repaired?

Lumps and Bumps after liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry to hear that you had an undesirable outcome. Your results are most likely stable at this point in time.

There are many reasons why this may occur and some are reparable while others are not.

If you intially had excellent skin elasticity and elasticity (no history of major weight fluctuations, no stretch marks, no cellulite, no skin laxity, etc.) then revisionary procedures could provide you with improvments. This mmay involve a combination of procedures including additional liposuction and/or fat grafting. Complete elimination of bumps may not be realistic.

If however, you did not have good skin tone and elasticity, then correction may not be completely possible and/or you may require other procedures such as a dermolipectomy (thigh lift) procedure.

In the meantime, discuss your options with your plastic surgeon as well as the possiblility and/or bnefits of manual lymphatic drainage, external ultrasound, radiofrequency treatment, regional massage therapy, Endermologie, etc.

Lumps and identation after liposuction

Thank you for the question! It is rather difficult to fully evaluate your situation without an in-person exam. That being said, small lumps and other contour irregularities are not uncommon after liposuction.  Shortly after surgery, you may see collections of blood (hematomas) or pockets of fat (fat necrosis). Typically, they will resolve in 2-3 weeks along with most bruising. Keep in mind that you may continue to see lumps as a result of swelling. It will take additional 2-3 months to completely subside.  

Although some physicians recommend massaging these lumpy areas, it's effectiveness is not entirely confirmed. I'd suggest that you give it time and let healing process complete naturally. If your swelling persists months after the procedure or you begin to experience increasing discomfort, you should notify your plastic surgeon. 

Remember that an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your situation and guarantee an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! 

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Lumps from liposuction

Contour irregularities after liposuction can sometimes be corrected or at least improved upon but it can be difficult. It may require more liposuction and/or fat transfer.

Revision liposuction and fat injections work

A combination of more liposuction and fat injections into the dents produce real improvement, in our experience.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lumps and Bumps

Following liposuction, irregularities can occur. Indentations can also occur. The best way to correct this is to do fat grafting with possible secondary liposuction. Realize that fat grafting may not be permanent and that repeated grafting may be required.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD