How Much Weight Can I Lose After Liposuction?

I weigh 232 pounds. How much weight can lipo take off from my stomach and abs? How many pounds of my weight can lipo take off my stomach and abs?

Weight Loss with Liposuction

Liposuction is not considered a way to loose weight. Most patients loose only about 2-5 pounds. The best liposuction candidate is someone at a fairly stable weight, with areas of exercise resistant fatty deposits. However, liposuction can still be done on someone that is in the process of loosing weight. I have seen it work as a "jump-start" for patients. Taking off the initial excess fatty tissue on someone's stomach may make them feel better, and want to improve exercise and diet.

I always talk to my patients at the consultation about ideal weight, what weight they are at now, expectations, and individual results. Sometimes, we have to work out an initial weight loss program and then re-visit the idea of liposuction in a few months.

Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

LIposuction of the body - Los Angeles

Most liposuction experts will tell you that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure, but rather a sculpting procedure for the body. That being said, liposuction can still help you lose significant amounts of body fat. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposuction Is Not A Weight-Loss Procedure

It's important to realize that liposuction is not a weight loss operation. The procedure is designed to improve contour by addressing localized fat collections that adversely impact body contour. The best candidates for liposuction have localized fat collections with ideal body weight and good skin tone.
The fat removed rarely weighs more than five pounds. Therefore, the procedure can't remove enough weight to significantly affect any patients' overall weight. Liposuction has some of the highest satisfaction rates seen in plastic surgery, but this is dependent upon using the procedure appropriately.

You will gain weight after liposuction due to fluid administration

It is a common mistake to believe you will lose weight after liposuction. Because IV fluids are administered during liposuction, most patients gain weight during the procedure. Thats OK, you will look thinner after a properly done liposuction.

1000 cc's of fat weighs 2.2 pounds. Thus if 3000cc's of fat are removed during liposuction you will loose 6.6 ponds of fat.

But dont expect it to show on the scale. As you recover from liposuction surgery and if you watch your diet eventually you may see the difference on the scale.

Liposuction Weightloss

Thank you for your question about losing weight with liposuction. I understand the struggle to control body weight, it can be very frustrating. Liposuction, however, can only safely remove 5-7 pounds of fat. It sound like you're motivated to lower your weight. I would recommend seeing your regular doctor and talking to them about diet and exercise programs that you can start and they can help you with. I congratulate you on thinking about your health. When you've reached your goal weight, if there are still areas that bother you, consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon about liposuction to improve small areas would be a great choice. Good Luck!

Liposuction as a weight loss method

Liposuction is not effective as a weight loss method. Liposuction is a body contouring procedure that works best on patients who are already their ideal weight but have problem areas they wish to target for contouring. The amount of actual weight loss following liposuction is nominal with even the largest of liposuction procedures.  Patients should not expect to lose more than 5-7 pounds from a liposuction procedure.

Weight loss from lipo?

While the safe limits from liposuction have been defined as 5 liters during one surgery which may equate to 11 or 12 pounds of pure fat it is not a weight loss method and the body usually re-equilibrates. Liposuction is a contouring and reproportioning procedure. Lap band surgery is a weight loss procedure.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight loss and liposuction.

As of this writing the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommend that 5 liters is the limit for extraction in an outpatient setting.  5 liters = 11 lbs.  Each patient is different.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.  Please remember to have reasonable expectations.  It also seems that you need to make some lifestyle changes for your basic health.  Liposuction is not a weight loss tool. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Liposuction is not a weight loss method

It’s important to understand that liposuction is not a weight loss method. It is a procedure designed for body contouring in patients of a healthy weight.  While liposuction may be performed to eliminate isolated areas of excess fat on the abdomen, undergoing the procedure while overweight increases your risk of developing surgery-related and healing complications.  The best liposuction results are achieved after excess weight is lost through a healthy diet and exercise routine to rid the body of stubborn areas of fat that don’t respond to these methods.

C. Edwin Pittman, MD
Athens Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool.  Instead, liposuction is meant to improve problem areas resistant to diet and exercise.  There is no clear endpoint when the patient is markedly overweight and the results are almost always very disappointing to both the patient and the surgeon.  Although it may seem motivating to undergo liposuction first as one begins a life changing exercise and weight loss program, the investment is much more prudent and meaningful when the patient is at or near the goal weight.      

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD