Seroma/fluid after tummy tuck. Will it cause my apron to come back?

I am 9 days post tummy tuck and have developed a sack of fluid like a water balloon beneath my belly button. I'm worried that this will cause my skin to stretch and sag again - I had the tuck to get rid of a saggy apron caused by my pregnancies.

Recovery and Results :

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Very common issue

These seromas are extremely common in abdominoplasties (tummy tuck), and their treatment is simple and straightforward: puncture and evacuation with syringe, not a big deal, painless and office-based.

Do consult asap with your surgeon and he will know best when it is the right moment to carry out the drainage.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty seroma

Seromas are seen occasionally after tummy tucks, and if they're managed properly they really don't cause long-term problems. Getting significant loose skin is unlikely if the fluid is removed until the seroma resolves.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Fluid collections after tummy tucks

do occur with regularity.  If managed in traditional methods (serial aspirations should hopefully do the trick for you), it will not stretch you out as you may fear.  But your fluid must be addressed and not simply left there to impair your healing.  You should be discussing this with your surgeon and anticipate getting at least weekly visits for aspirations until this is resolved.

Curtis Wong, MD