How Do You Lay Down After a BBL?

I read somewhere to lay on your stomach to keep attention away from your butt, but I also read to lay on your side... Wouldn't laying on your sides mess up your fat which was grafted to your hips or ...?

How long to lay on stomach after BBL

When performing a BBL procedure, I recommend to my patients to lay on their stomach for the first month while sleeping to keep pressure off of the gluteal area.  You cannot sit for the first 10 days post operatively for the same reason.  When you transfer fat from one area of the body to another, the fat needs the blood supply from the surrounding area to grow into it for it to survive.  Typically, you will keep 70-80% of the fat which is placed into the gluteal area.  If you sit or lay on your buttocks you will be compressing the area and in addition to all the swelling which is there post-operatively, there will be a decreased amount of fat which will survive.  This is also the reason why I do not combine tummy tucks and breast procedures with BBL's as you need to lay on your back post-op for these.  To get the best result you need to follow a specific post-op instruction to allow the fat to survive.

How Do You Lay Down After a BBL?

If you have liposuction with fat transfer to your buttocks and hips, then resting on your stomach probably makes the most sense.  You should always ask your plastic surgeon about this.  I perform about 500 Brazilian buttlifts each year, and this procedure is the most surgeon dependent plastic surgery procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Laying down after a Buttock Augmentation

Each doctor has their own set of post-operative instructions for each procedure. Typically after a buttock augmentation, I have my patients either lie on their stomach or on their side. After about 2 to 3 weeks, a patient may begin lying on their back. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Is laying on your stomach necessary after a BBL?

Surgery, as with medicine, is an art; every surgeon has his/her own techniques and protocols that work for them. My usual protocol does allow sitting and/or lying on your back immediately after surgery because the fat is injected into multiple layers of the buttock so there is no risk of the fat migrating. It may take some time for the buttock to take its final shape as well as the swelling from areas of liposuction to resolve.

Gary Motykie, MD