What is the best laser to remove black tattoos? (Photo)

I do not know what I'm feeling, I need help and I'm afraid to get some kind of treatment. My tattoo is so bad? I wonder every day what is the best laser to remove tattoos black? I need advice because I do not know what to do, I do not feel very well with it because it seems very black and my skin color is half white Someone would have some tips for me?

Pico Lasers

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. My preference for reducing black ink is the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength for black pigment. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. I feel that it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years. Best Wishes. 

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

PICO Laser for Tattoo Removal

Of all the lasers available to remove tattoos as of now, the picosecond lasers are considered the best, owing to faster rates of clearance, lesser number of required sessions, better tolerance of the treatment, and lesser damage to surrounding skin and resultant dyspigmentation. We have been using the Picoway for tattoo removal, in Indian skin types, with very good outcomes. If you really dont like your tattoo, and if you want the best option for removing it, then the Picosecond lasers, it is!

Renita (Lourdhurajan) Rajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Laser for black ink removal

Black ink can be removed  with  a Yag laser, 1064 wavelength and Alexandrite laser with 755 nm wavelength. The laser light is delivered either in a pico second (pico second lasers) or in a nanosecond. These are the probably the two most commonly used lasers for black ink. All lasers work by delivering light energy  to break up the ink molecule.  Pico lasers with the above wavelengths work great and are the newer tattoo lasers on the market. They work by delivering heat energy, just like the nanosecond lasers, and a photomechanical effect (think of it as a quick punch) which through vibration breaks up the ink. The pico second is a trillionth of a second delivery of that punch. Nanosecond lasers still work great, they deliver the energy in a billionth of a second, but with more of a heat energy delivery. Our bodies take away the ink molecules treated by the laser and this process takes several weeks. Most recommend retreatment at 6-8 weeks. However, the chances of scarring, and pigmentary  (loss in color of your skin) changes  is a risk in any laser treatment it is quite low with an experienced doctor performing the treatments. All laser tattoo treatments require multiple sessions with the newer pico lasers resulting in clearing sooner than the nanosecond lasers. Good luck with your treatments.

Stephen Small, DO
Toms River Plastic Surgeon

Use the ​Best Technology for Tattoo Regret

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago.  Picosecond laser came out about 3 years age.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible. 

Picosecond lasers fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend waiting 6 weeks until your tattoo is healed and then finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a  nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Best laser for black tattoos

Black tattoos usually respond well to laser treatment but multiple sessions are required.  I prefer to use a Q-switched YAG laser for black tattoos.  This uses an infrared (1064 nm wavelength) laser beam to target the tattoo particles.  Because it has the longest wavelength, YAG laser penetrates deeper than other lasers. You could also consider one of the newer picosecond lasers.  Results might be faster but cost would likely be higher.  Make sure to see an experienced laser doctor.Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon