Can I have a Pelleve RF session and immediately afterwards get a microdermabrasion?

Pelleve and Microderm

You can have Pelleve and microdermabrasion in the same visit, but I would recommend doing the microderm first.

Can you get a microdermabrasion treatment immediately following Pelleve?

I actually recommend getting a microdermabrasion or SilkPeel treatment PRIOR to Pelleve as a two-fold approach to enhance the quality of the Pelleve treatment.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pelleve and microdermabrasion

Hello, it should be ok to get Pelleve then microdermabrasion immediately after, but it might be worthwhile having a break of a day or so in between.

Pelleve and microdermabrasion should be spaced out for safety and to maximize benefits of both procedures

Thank you for your question. I think it’s important that we clarify what the intended purpose of these treatments are.

With Pellevé, we’re trying to stimulate collagen production by applying a certain amount of critical temperature on the skin. This temperature, in a way, also restructures the skin, which allows you to massage and stretch it, subsequently creating something like a realignment of collagen. Keep in mind that this treatment addresses skin at the dermis level (the layer beneath the epidermis), which is where the support of the skin is. When people begin to show signs of facial aging, such as wrinkles and lines, it is due to the depletion of collagen in the dermis. The results of Pellevé depends largely on your skin’s ability to respond well to this radio frequency treatment.

Microdermabrasion refers to a treatment that removes the top layer of the epidermis, or the stratum corneum. The treatment’s purpose is to improve fine lines, wrinkles, superficial discolorations, as well as remove dead skin on the surface of the skin.

I don’t generally tell patients that it’s okay to have a microdermabrasion immediately after a facelift. Though this is probably technically possible, you need to consider its aggressiveness on your skin as microdermabrasion can be very mild, but can also be very strong.

In my practice, we use a treatment called HydraFacial, which is a technology that uses water, similar to crystals in a microdermabrasion machine, with an infusion of hyaluronic and glycolic acid, in order to remove dead skin cells. It is quite effective and has become a popular treatment choice, so much so that it has replaced microdermabrasion.

If you are adamant about having a microdermabrasion treatment, I would suggest getting a milder session done, or to have it done on separate occasions, rather than immediately after. Remember, the skin can only tolerate so much trauma before you're actually compromising its ability to regenerate and heal.

Consider these pointers and discuss this with your doctor, to see what your desired outcome is and whether there is a more efficient way to go about this. I hope I was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would recommend doing Pelleve before micodermabrasion, not after.  If you can do it on separate days, even better.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD