If I lose weight after my breast reduction, a significant amount like 60-70 lbs, will my newly reduced breasts lose their shape?

I may lose the weight the natural way or by gastric bypass. Will my breasts look funny after? Less firm or mishapen? I am having the breast reduction first (for now) because I got approved so quickly. I don't know if I have the choice to lose the weight first. I will be going from a 40DDD to a D so to speak. I am 5'3" and currently weight 195 lbs. I have severe back problems so losing it naturally may not be an option. I just want to know how they'll look. Thanks!

Weightloss after BBR

Breasts are part fat, so if you loose a lot of weight, your breast will change shape.
If you have a reduction now, your plastic surgeon will make your breasts the best for your weight now, when you loose weight you will also loose volume, so I am afraid the result will be lost.

Best of luck 

Weight loss can affect breast appearance

Although it’s impossible to predict exactly how weight loss will affect your figure, most women do notice that their breasts lose a fair amount of volume in the process. If you have a breast reduction before your weight loss, it’s possible that your breasts will reduce further and a revision may be needed. On the other hand, if you delay your reduction procedure until after you’ve reached your target weight, there may not be enough breast tissue to qualify for insurance coverage. Depending on your personal preferences, I like to recommend going with one surgery whenever possible rather than scheduling a surgery right now that could mean needing a revision later on, but you need to make the choice that’s right for you.

Breast Reduction

Losing a significant amount of weight as you stated can always change the shape and contour of a breast reduction.  I always ask my patients to lose the weight prior to surgery.

Thank you for your question.  This depends on your genetics and the proportion of your breast that is adipose tissue versus breast tissue.  Some women change breast size and shape with weight fluctuation and some don't.  If you are seriously planning on weight loss, I would strongly urge you to do it before your breast reduction.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Weight loss after breast reduction

For most women, fluctuations in weight mean a change in breast volume and appearance.  If you lose a significant amount of weight after breast reduction then its possible that you will need revision surgery to address any loss of volume or breast sag.  You may require a breast lift or implants to help restore your volume.  Good luck.

Weight loss after a breast reduction

Losing a large amount of weight such as 60-70 lbs after a reduction definitely puts you at risk of having your breast appear more saggy and flat on top. The reason for this is that the breast is comprised of a great deal of fatty tissue in the typical patient, and weight loss will cause this fat to shrink in size. If/when you undergo your reduction first, the skin will be a good fit for the amount of breast tissue present after the surgery, but if the amount of tissue decreases then there will be too much skin, thus a "saggy" appearance. While there is always the chance that your skin may have some elasticity and tighten up some with your weight loss, a lot of people have a very deflated looking upper breast area after losing weight. The best thing to do may be to see how this fits into your overall long term plan, and proceed accordingly - don't be in a rush to have surgery if the results will not be ideal.

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Many, but not all, women that lose that amount of weight will see a significant deflation of their breast to the point there is not enough weight to remove from the breasts to get insurance coverage. But if you do the reduction first and lose that amount of weight, it is likely you will need augmentation later on. Your choice in what comes first.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD