Can Extra Skin After a Tummy Tuck Be Fixed? (photo)

I still have extra skin and my stomach is not as tight as i would like specially when i sit down or bend over how can this be fixed do i need a revision and if so what exactly would happen in the revision would i have to go under again, do they have to redo the belly button and how bad is the recovery. Forgot to mention i had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo 4 months ago

Tummy Tuck Revision

Given the amount of skin laxity your photos show while you are standing upright, I believe you would benefit from additional skin tightening from a revision tummy tuck procedure.  I would wait six months from your initial tummy tuck before considering any revision procedures.  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Looseness after tummy tuck

I am surprised to see that much loose skin only 4 months after a full tummy tuck.  Sometimes a revision can be done only removing a wedge of skin above the tummy tuck scar and in other cases, a more involved procedure may need to be performed.  It also,depends on how  much looseness of ski. Is inferior to the scar.    In either case, you can certainly stand to have a good amount of skin removed.The recovery from a revision should be much easier than the first procedure, especially since the muscle repair  would probably not need to be redone.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Wait 6 months, then you'll likely desire revision.

We occasionally see patients who have developed residual skin laxity following abdominoplasty surgery.This can occur for a variety of reasons following this type of surgical procedure.Regardless of the cause, you would benefit from a surgical revision.
Your pictures suggest significant laxity of the skin below the level of the umbilicus.This can easily be managed by performing a procedure that removes excess lower abdominal skin and tightens the lower abdomen as well. This procedure would require general anesthesia but could be done on an outpatient basis. It’s Important to wait at least six months before proceeding with revisional surgery so the situation can stabilize.
It’s important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.Your surgeon should be able to perform this evaluation and formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision and removal of extra skin - Los Angeles

Extra skin can be removed.  However, it is best to examine your abdomen when upright to see if there is any extra skin when you stand. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Extra skin after tummy tuck

Yes extra skin after tummy tuck can be fixed. The skin relaxes after several weeks to months and becomes a bit loose sometimes. The additional skin can be removed just about the main horizontal scar and this ususally has to be done in the operating room.

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision

It appears from your photos that you had an inadequate abdominoplasty performed. Although it is normal for you to have some folding while sitting, your standing pictures reveal significant laxity of skin. It appears to me that you need a revision. Please wait 6 months after your operation and find a qualified board certified plastic surgeon to perform the revision for you. Because you have a vertical scar the revision should be fairly straight forward and should give you a nice result.

Sepehr Egrari, MD

Loose skin after tummy tuck

From your photos (thank you for them, by the way) I see your skin has a lot of stretch marks, and looks to have poor elasticity. In your situation, you will likely have looseness while sitting even if your skin is very tight while standing. It is worth a discussion of your situation with the operating surgeon to see if anything else would help. Good luck.

Victor Au, MD (retired)
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Can Extra Skin After a Tummy Tuck Be Fixed?

Yes you can get extra skin removed. But a TT is supposed to be tight when you are standing up straight. If it was tight when you were sitting or leaning over then you could never straighten up!

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Skin can be tightened after a tummy tuck

You can tighten or remove more skin after a tummy tuck.  You have to be careful and make sure not to over do it.  When you stand up straight, is there loose skin?  Obviously when you sit down you will notice more looseness but you have to determine the extra skin when you are standing up.  When you want to remove skin laxity after a tummy tuck you can remove skin and lower the scar.  Most of the time you do not need to redo the bully button.  Discuss this with your surgeon who will be more inclined to revise it for a cheaper price. 

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Extra skin post tummy tuck

Thank you for the photos.  It is hard to definitively say without a proper exam.  You are very early in your post operative course.  I would continue to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will help you through the process.  If there needs to be a revision, you will talk about cost.   Cost often depends on the amount of revision to be done, and how much time is spent in the O.R.  For revisional surgery, the surgeon often does not have control over some costs, (O.R. fees, Anesthesia fees, Supplies, etc:). This is usually passed on to the patient.  Most surgeons will charge some fee for their own revision surgery, if needed.  This can be variable.   Best to discuss this with your surgeon.  Communicate with them your thoughts, and together your should be able to come up with a plan. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS