Is a vampire facial actually effective since the PRP is just rubbed on the top layer of the skin after used with the dermapen?

does it really get rid of wrinkles, scars and does it really promote collagen and elastin on the skin since the prp is not really injected?

Rubbing PRP on the skin is an effective way of healing microneedling, but injection and microneedling have different goals

Thank you for your question. You’re asking an excellent question about the Vampire Facial® — if it is truly effective in inducing collagen and elastin even when the platelet=rich plasma is only rubbed on the skin and not injected.
I can certainly give you my perspective on this. To first give you a little information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. A large part of my practice revolves around skin rejuvenation and helping patients address issues of facial aging. I am a member of the Vampire Facelift® Network of doctors, and have been an information resource for the media, particularly when a well-known celebrity posted photos after receiving a Vampire Facial® which spurred many questions about the treatment.
The first step is identifying the intended problem you want to treat, and whether there is more benefit in creating openings in the skin via microneedling versus injecting. Naturally, we want the most benefit with the least amount of downtime.
Microneedling and injecting have different purposes. If you’re talking about increasing the fat and volume under the skin and improving its quality, it is beneficial to inject platelet-rich plasma. It improves skin quality, and when it is injected in the dermis, it helps build collagen which is the foundation of the skin. Microneedling, on the other hand, is comparable to fractional lasering - it addresses fine lines and wrinkles by creating narrow channels through the epidermis and into the dermis to get the dual benefit of stimulation of the dermis through trauma, as well as a certain degree of re-epithelialization, which improves overall skin quality. The depth and frequency of microneedling can be set, much like it is done with the fractional laser, and has to be executed carefully. Ultimately, it is important to define what the desired outcome is.
With regard to your question about whether platelet rich plasma is effective if it is just rubbed on top of the skin, I can tell you that it certainly does improve the rate of healing. When platelet-rich plasma is applied on the skin in the context of the Vampire Facial®, it does enter into those channels and stimulates collagen production under the skin. In fact, I routinely use platelet-rich plasma to facilitate healing when we do skin resurfacing or fractional laser treatment. In other cases, I’ll also inject it into the skin.
We have to consider the question of what is right for your situation. In the absence of photo and physical examination, it is more difficult for me to determine this. In my practice, many people will come to me for the Vampire Facial®, and when I explained to them what the procedure entails and what kind of downtime they’re looking at, they’ll opt for platelet-rich plasma injection or platelet-rich fiber matrix injection instead. So I suggest that you meet with experienced physicians who specialize in these types of treatments, and learn more about these options. I also recommend that you meet with someone who is part of the Vampire Facelift® Network who has a lot of experience with this type of treatment so you can be better informed.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Official way

Hi

There is a set way of doing the Vampire Facial. We were taught this by Dr Runels the inventor of the procedure.

To get the best results, PRP has to be injected under the skin like a filler then layered on top with micro needle and PRP. Kind of like making a PRP sandwich with your skin as the filling.

Hope this brings some clarity

PRP and Vampire Facelift

You can definitely inject or place the PRP on the surface of the skin after microneedling.  Both methods help with skin tone, texture, and wrinkles. I usually do a combination of both when microneedling with the Eclipse micropen.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Is the Vampire Facelift effective?

Thank you for asking your question about effectiveness of Microneedling with PRP (Vampire Facelift). Applying the PRP to the face immediately prior to Microneedling rejuvenates the skin, improves wrinkles and texture. I hope you find this helpful.
Good luck,

PRP Facial

This is getting a lot of hype. It will penetrate skin which has recently been microneedled. It may improve texture and appearance of the skin. It works best on injured skin such as after lasers and scar repairs. It's effectiveness on improving relatively healthy skin is still to be determined. If it works, several treatments are needed (4-6). I use PRP for hair restoration.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

PRP is effective for texture and tone if used with lasers or microneedling but I do not feel it is effective on its own rubbing into the skin.  Best, Dr. Emer.