Should I Have Large Gaps Between my 4 in 1 Dental Implants and the Gum Line?

I have a complete set to 4 on 1 tooth implants upper and lower. Is it normal that there is large gaps between the implants and the gum line, that I can feel my implant post in this gap and that you can see the screw holes even after they are sealed.

All on 4, Dental Implants, Teeth in a Day

The question is how long have you had the implant and hybrid denture?  If it has been a number of years, you may have some bone loss around the implants or adjacent spaces.  This can cause the gaps.  If it is a consistent problem, then a reline might help.

If you feel the post of the implants then I would definitely have a dentist check this out.

Hope this helps.

Houston Dentist

All-on-4 Denture fit.

The all-on-4 dental implant protocol is different between offices. The initial, temporary, bridge may have some gaps to allow for cleaning. Other schools of thought make the fit tight as to mould the gums and prevent ingress of food particles. Similar designs are made for the final bridge i.e with small gaps for cleaning or tight fit. The size of the gaps should be large enough to allow a brush, floss threader or waterpik to enable cleaning you should probably not feel the posts. Hope this helps.

All on 4, gap between gum and implant

It really depends on what type of case the dentist was doing.  Some dentists want the gap so the patient can clean the area much better.  Other dentists do a hybrid case where the prothesis is up against the gum and there is not gap.   Much harder to clean for patients.  Ask the dentist who did the work to get a better idea if it is normal.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

Depends on the Time Line

If you've recently had extractions and your All-on-Four prostheses delivered, it is not surprising to have a gap between the gums and the acrylic. As healing takes place, the bone and gums will shrink and stabilize and often create a gap that is usually closed at the time of making the final restoration.If the hybrids are recent, it is fairly common to have a "high water" design on the lower prosthesis to aid in keeping it clean. We try to have a fairly intimate fit to the gums on the top to prevent saliva, food, and water from passing over the top during speech and eating. If you've had the restorations for a while, then you may have had further bone loss and recession that has caused the gap to widen. This is worth discussing with your dentist. Depending on the material, you can likely have that area relined to fit more perfectly. If you feel the implant, it may actually be a component of the restoration (called a multi-unit abutment) that sticks out of the implant and the denture rests on. If it's the implant itself, the dentist should closely monitor it to make sure that implant stays healthy. 

All on 4 Gap between gums and implant

This prosthesis is a very expensive investment, which would mean you will want to get as much information from your dentist to maintain this prosthesis. So maybe the space created was one of the ways the doctor was trying to assist in the maintenance of your hybrid denture. However, make sure that their is not a fabrication flaw on the part of the lab. It can easily be missed, but it can be corrected with minimal downtime for you.

James Magee, DDS
Altamonte Springs Dentist

All On Four Dental Implant Prosthesis

I believe the "Gap" you are referring to is the normal spacing between the dental implant abutments securing your hybrid denture.  Since all of your teeth in each arch ( a total of 16) were replaced by a total of only 4 implants, there is going to be a large space between them.  This is ok and to be expected.  If you are able to actually see the implants or abutments, the denture was most likely fabricated so it would be easier for you to clean.  There are different ways to fabricate the denture for attachment to the implants, so this should be discussed with the dentist that made the denture which attaches to your implants. 

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implants are a great subsitutue for missing teeth

The best  is to ask your dentist. Every patient's case presents the doctor certain limitations at times that even if one wanted to have no gaps, sometimes it may happen. But it quiet can  be a case of keeping a gap for ease of hygiene.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Dentist

Spaces under the hybrid prosthesis

Hybrid prosthesis is a great treatment modality and has been used for a while now. The great advantages are that it gives you a comfort of having fixed prosthesis, excellent ability to chew and aesthetics.  You have to remember that like everything in life different treatment options have advantages and disadvantages, and the disadvantage of this kind of prosthesis is that space that you are talking about. Sometimes it is bigger sometimes it can be smaller, but main reason for that space is that you could keep the implants clean. If you feel that the space is excessive, changes can be made and every Implant Prosthodontist knows how to do that. I would recommend to go to the same dentist who made those prosthesis for you and let him know about your concerns. If your doctor agrees that space is too big he can fix it, and it is an easy fix. Good luck!

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Dentist

Adaptation of an all on 4 type dental prosthesis

The All on 4 process consists of two phases

Phase 1 - when the teeth are removed and the implants placed and teeth provided the same day. During this procedure the clinician will not adapt the prosthesis(Teeth) to the gum because it has just undergone surgery and needs to heal. So in this phase you can expect there to be a space

Phase 2 - Final teeth, during this phase new impressions are made and the teeth made to be adapted and to compress the gum a little. This is done to avoid food entrapment, speech problems and also to make it more comfortable for patients

I wish you success in your journey. It will definitely be worth it.