Exactly How Large Will a 325 Cc Silicone Implant Make Me from a B Cup? (photo)

I am very athletic and will continue to keep getting more athletic. I'm a 34 C,but my sergeon sayd I'm more like a small B cup.What will a 325 cc silicone implant make me? I want to be a large C or Small D. Should I go to a 350 cc implant and if so should that be placed under the muscle? My doctor says I have enough breast tissue to do a subglandular implant placement which will make my breast appear more natural. Is this true?!

Implant size when undergoing breast augmentation

As you probably know there is no standardizes bra size that fits all. Different bra companies produce different bras with the same bra cup size. That makes it difficult to give an exact size implant that will give a certain cup size. Sizers in the pre-operative appointments, pictures from a magazine and per and post op pictures help the surgeon and the patient desicide on the proper size implants to achieve that look.During the consultation an exam and proper measurements that help evaluate the breast shape and tissue characteristics are taken. Proper planing and use of sizers during surgery with the chosen pictures help achieve the desired look. That said nothing can replace the experience and judgment of a artistic surgeon and proper selection of the right doctor by the patient is very important. Request to see per and post operative pictures from the surgeon and look to speak to previously patients or follow the doctors reviews.

Regarding  the placement of the implant, I like to place the implant  under the muscle in the superior portion of the implant and under the breast tissue on the bottom. This technique is termed a dual plane.

In summery an exact implant size prior to the surgery is not a practical practice and may take away from a nice result. An estimation of the size of the implant to give a certain cup size  should be an educated estimation. Placement of dual plan gives the best results in my hands.

Breast Size after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately,  no plastic surgeon is able to accurately predict what cup size you will end up wearing after breast augmentation with a certain size implant. As you know, you may end up wearing different bra cup sizes depending on who makes the bra.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you're looking for.  You may want to leave it up to him/her to use a breast implant that he/she feels will do the job based on intraoperative evaluation.

In my opinion, you will do better with sub muscular (dual plane) breast  augmentation.This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.

Breast Implant Size and Desired Cup Size

I think it is important to make clear that there is no way to accurately predict exactly what cup size you will wear after a breast augmentation procedure.  Implant volume does not correspond to cup size.  Additionally, cup/bra sizes do vary greatly between manufacturers.  My best advice would be to speak with your surgeon in great detail with regards to the cosmetic result that you are looking for.  Some patients bring along some 'goal' pictures to better illustrate the desired cosmetic goal, which you might want to consider.  I believe that sub-muscular implants do much better long term than sub-glandular ones do and that the muscle coverage afforded by the chest muscle will actually afford a patient a much more natural look and feel with less risk for palpable or rippled implants.  

I hope you find this helpful and best of luck!

Breast implant sizing

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Size of the implants can be very personal choices that a patient makes. In many cases, patients can go from a A cup to a D cup or larger. In our practice, I begin by asking whether you are looking for more projection or perkiness and whether you mind have some of the breast tissue push outwards on the side. In addition, I ask you to try on different external sizers to give you a sense of what your breast may look like and the feel of extra volume in the breasts. In addition, I take details measurements of the breast including the base diameter of the breast. Your volume range and the breast shape preferences helps me the further guide you in your implant selection and to give you guidance on what the breast might look.
I would visit with some board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss your options and goals in more detail.

Exactly how large will 325cc silicone implant make me from a B cup?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Exactly How Large Will a 325 Cc Silicone Implant Make Me from a B Cup?

While we cannot predict an exact final cup size, a 325 or 350 cc implant sounds about right.  25cc is a very small difference, therefore, if those are the options, your Plastic Surgeon gave you, I would recommend going with the slightly larger size.  As far as placement goes, I do most of my implants subglandular because the breast do look more natural afterwards.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

What Cup size is a 325 Silicone Implant

Excellent Question. First, i would avoid a subglandular placement, it will look more natural initially but eventually the weight of the implant will cause excess saginess of the breats if not placed below the muscle, It is difficult to know what your final cup size will be, it depends on lots of factors

1. Your height and weight

2. Your pre-op breast/cup size

3. The projection of the implant - high/medium/low

4. Your implant size, cc's

These all need to be dicsused with your doctor, he should be able to show you pictures of someone with your chest and give you an idea size wise if you will be similar. Make sure your doctor is experienced, is a board certified plastic surgeon and is willing to listen to your goals.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

There is no "one size fits all" breast implant volume

Each woman starts out with her own unique breast volume, breast size and breast shape that may differ from her left to right sides. 

An implant volume of "XXX" cc would not necessarily make each woman who starts off at one cup size a specific new cup size.  Think about the same implant being inserted in a woman who is 5'11" with large breasts, versus a woman who is 4'10" with A cups.  The difference would be minimal in the first situation, but very significant in the latter. 

In reality, bra cup size is determined by measurements taken around the base of your breasts and the maximum projection of your breasts.  For instance, if you are 34" around the base of the breasts, and 36" around your breasts, then you would be a "B" cup.

Addition of any volume to the breasts will change the projection somewhat and increase the cup size, but the final letter depends on many things such as breast width, height, projection and the amount of empty skin or density of the breasts.

I emphasize less the final bra cup size (i.e. the letter - "B, C or C") but rather the final cosmetic result.  Remember, you can be three different dress sizes, depending on the manufacturer.  The same goes for bra sizes.

The best method of breast implant sizing takes into account your preoperative breast size, shape, density, and your cosmetic goals for surgery.  Please visit my website for additional information.  In my practice, I usually recommend subglandular implants for the most natural result. 

Karen M. Horton, MD, MSc, FACS, FRCSC

Karen M. Horton, MD

Predicting Cup Size before Breast Augmentation

Patients always think in terms of cup size - it's quite natural. However surgeons don't like to promise cup sizes to patients. All my patients try on sizing implants. I also measure their breasts to determine how large an implant they could realistically have placed and still look natural. Usually the patient will like the look of a particular sized implant, and if that is a reasonable size in my opinion then they will almost always be happy with size regardless of what the cup size is postoperatively.  I am not a big fan of the subglandular approach if the submuscular approach is an option, for a number of reasons. Still, you should likely have a nice result regardless of the pocket, provided your implant size is reasonable. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Choosing the right implant

Choosing the right implant is best performed in person during consultation. Evaluation of the anatomy and a discussion of your interests  will help best determine the right implant for you.