Do injectables hurt?

I am thinking of getting a liquid facelift. Are injectables painful?

Pain from injectables

Thank you for your question. Neuromodulator injections such as Botox or Dysport are generally well tolerated by my patients as I use 31G ultra fine BD needles. Most injectable hyaluronic acid based filler come with pre-made with local anaesthetic inside them while others can be reconstituted with some injectable lignocaine or xylocaine. From more pain sensitive patients, I offer additional temporary anaesthesia with the use of compounded topical numbing cream or ice/cold air applied to the treated area prior to injecting.

I recommend that you consult with an experienced and well trained practitioner to ensure your safety and for optimal results to be achieved.

Sydney Physician

Last contacted 1 day ago

Are injectables painful?

Hello Luchaboo,

Thank you for your question. While getting stuck in the face with needles is not a pleasant experience, most people find it to be quite tolerable. The needles used for neuro-modulators like Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are insulin needles and very tiny. Dermal fillers like Restylane and Juvederm typically have lidocaine added for additional comfort, and a surface numbing cream is applied several minutes before the injections are done for even further comfort. Ice packs are often helpful and some patients like to squeeze a "stress ball" too, while other patients come in and out of their liquid face-lift appointment on their lunch break and for them it's a breeze. The point to really make here is that pain is subjective and everyone is different. But if it was that bad, it wouldn't be as wildly popular as it is! I hope this information helps, and good luck!

Richard Dittrich, DO, FACOG

Richard Dittrich, DO, FACOG
Philadelphia OB/GYN

Last contacted 26 days ago

Liquid Lift

There is only mild discomfort with filler injections.  We use a topical numbing cream prior to the procedure.  Also, several of the fillers have lidocaine in them already.  During the procedure, we also use ice packs to help.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 2 days ago

Are fillers painful?

Hello and thanks. An experienced injector should be able to make your experience fairly comfortable with a combination of topical (on the skin) anesthetic and the anesthesia that comes with all the injectables. Patients tolerate the procedure very well without additional medications. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Last contacted 2 days ago

Liquid facelift

During a liquid facelift, various dermal fillers (restylane, juvederm ultra/ultraplus or juvederm voluma) and botox are used to recreate volume deficiencies that have occurred over time. It is a wonderful way to rejuvenate yourself. All of these products are gel form of hyaluronic acid mixed with numbing medication (lidocaine) and therefore, it is not painful at all. In addition, we often use topical numbing on the face to reduce the sensitivity - almost all patients are surprised as to how painless it is! I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified dermatologist who have specialized training in advanced techniques for liquid facelift.

Lesley Rabach, MD

Last contacted 16 days ago

Injectables are not very painful!

Most injectables have lidocaine mixed in with the product, so the product itself will numb the skin once injections are started. I have many or most patients that will have injections without any numbing creams applied prior. However, I offer topical numbing creams--especially for delicate areas around the eyes or lips that really help to make the experience much more comfortable. The needles used are very fine, and the comfort level is very high for this type of procedure, so do not let fear of pain hold you back from looking your best. Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Last contacted 3 days ago

Injectables and pain

When injectables are administered properly by a board certified plastic surgeon, there should be very little discomfort associated with the procedure. A liquid facelift usually consists of several different injections that could include Botox, Juvederm and Voluma. The procedure is done right in the office and you can expect to have some swelling and bruising for a few days after.

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 6 days ago

Pain from Injections

With proper care, patients do not typically complain of pain during a liquid facelift. There is some discomfort during treatment but can be easily managed. Consult in person with an experienced and expert physician injector to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Last contacted 21 hours ago

Pain can vary

The pain can vary based upon the type and location of your injectable procedure.  A liquid face lift with fillers can be somewhat painful.  Oftentimes, I perform a dental block prior to injection for maximum comfort.  Topical numbing can also help.  A BOTOX injection  utilizes such a small needle and is so quick, that you won't typically need any topical numbing, at least with a skilled injector.  Best wishes.  -Gregory D. Roberts, MD

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Last contacted 15 days ago

Do injections hurt

HI, 

Injections into the face with fillers that have a slightly thick consistency, tend to hurt. But fillers don’t have to hurt! 

I typically use a topical anesthetic in the office. Just topical lidocaine ointment and I apply it just before the procedure to ease the discomfort of the injection. Some people bruise easier than others. Anytime even the smallest needle is used you can get a bruise that can last anywhere from five to 10 days depending on the individual. Whether or not to stay home from work is certainly a personal decision based on the line of work you’re in. Some people choose to stay home because they’re involved in public speaking or on camera. Others sit in a back desk and they don’t mind having a bruise for a week or so, if you get a bruise

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Last contacted 19 days ago