Do injectables hurt?

I am thinking of getting a liquid facelift. Are injectables painful?

Liquid facelift

During a liquid facelift, various dermal fillers (restylane, juvederm ultra/ultraplus or juvederm voluma) and botox are used to recreate volume deficiencies that have occurred over time. It is a wonderful way to rejuvenate yourself. All of these products are gel form of hyaluronic acid mixed with numbing medication (lidocaine) and therefore, it is not painful at all. In addition, we often use topical numbing on the face to reduce the sensitivity - almost all patients are surprised as to how painless it is! I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified dermatologist who have specialized training in advanced techniques for liquid facelift.

Injectables are not very painful!

Most injectables have lidocaine mixed in with the product, so the product itself will numb the skin once injections are started. I have many or most patients that will have injections without any numbing creams applied prior. However, I offer topical numbing creams--especially for delicate areas around the eyes or lips that really help to make the experience much more comfortable. The needles used are very fine, and the comfort level is very high for this type of procedure, so do not let fear of pain hold you back from looking your best. Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Injectables and pain

When injectables are administered properly by a board certified plastic surgeon, there should be very little discomfort associated with the procedure. A liquid facelift usually consists of several different injections that could include Botox, Juvederm and Voluma. The procedure is done right in the office and you can expect to have some swelling and bruising for a few days after.

Pain from Injections

With proper care, patients do not typically complain of pain during a liquid facelift. There is some discomfort during treatment but can be easily managed. Consult in person with an experienced and expert physician injector to understand your options. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Pain can vary

The pain can vary based upon the type and location of your injectable procedure.  A liquid face lift with fillers can be somewhat painful.  Oftentimes, I perform a dental block prior to injection for maximum comfort.  Topical numbing can also help.  A BOTOX injection  utilizes such a small needle and is so quick, that you won't typically need any topical numbing, at least with a skilled injector.  Best wishes.  -Gregory D. Roberts, MD

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Facelift

Facial injections are not painless. However, the pain can be reduced by applying a topical numbing medication prior to the injection and using ice beforehand. Many of the fillers have lidocaine mixed in as well. It is common to have discomfort for 1-2 days following the injections. 

Liquid FaceLift & Do Botox and Fillers Hurt?

Great question. Pain is minimal and the procedure is well tolerated. Tricks and tips to reduce discomfort include topical lidocaine anesthetic cream applied in the office prior to the injections, topical cold pack prior to the procedure, vibrational distraction method (we use a buzzing tool that really helps most), pinching or tapping the skin near the injection site, and, of course, talkaesthesia (talking helps!).  We learn about our patient and choose a combination approach. I would not let the fear of pain scare you away and I hope this helps you get to an injecting expert physician.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Do injectables hurt?

Thank you for your question.  In my experience, most patients do not experience much discomfort at all from injectables and there is typically little to no downtime.  Some patients experience a bit of redness or bruising, but this is not common in my practice.  Injection techniques can vary considerably from one provider to the next, so be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who will be happy to provide you with a small test area to make sure you are comfortable before committing to more injections.  Many of the fillers today contain an anesthetic that helps the injections remain more comfortable for patients.  I hope this helps. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  One of the major advantages of injectables is that they can be performed with little discomfort and little to no downtime.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Do injectables hurt?

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most instances injectables result in little pain or discomfort for patients, with most describing mild soreness.  Application of a topical numbing medicine can ease any discomfort from needle injections making the procedure very tolerable.  Hope this helps.