Do injectables hurt?

I am thinking of getting a liquid facelift. Are injectables painful?

Pain from injectables

Everyone's pain tolerance is different, so it's hard to say if it will hurt for you or not. Fillers, such as Belotero and Radiesse usually have lidocaine in them or the injector will numb the area prior. I do have clients that prefer no lidocaine though since the process only takes a few minutes. Thank you for your question. 

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do injectables hurt

Each patient is different when it comes to discomfort associated with any treatment, including injectables. With proper technique, the patient can be kept very comfortable throughout a liquid facelift or any other session of injectables. There is usually some minimal discomfort associated either with numbing medicines or the injectables themselves, but we work very hard to make the process as pleasant as possible. An experienced injector specializing in facial aesthetics is recommended.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectables

Thank you for your question. The level of pain can depend greatly on the injector. If you can find a doctor who uses a cannula that will reduce the discomfort significantly. It will feel strange more than uncomfortable. Good luck! 

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Injectable dermal fillers are very well tolerated.

I personally find this procedure very comfortable and much less painful than Botox, reason being with dermal fillers, lidocaine is added with HA filers such as Juvederm. Correct and slow injection technique makes this a very well tolerated procedure, as the video below shows. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Pain with Filler Injections

The common fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane will often contain some local anaesthetic that will help reduce the pain.  Topical local anaesthetic creams can also be used to help reduce pain with injections.  Some practitioners may also use vibration devices to help distract from the initial pain of injections.

Reza Nassab, FRCS (Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Pain from injectables

Thank you for your question. Neuromodulator injections such as Botox or Dysport are generally well tolerated by my patients as I use 31G ultra fine BD needles. Most injectable hyaluronic acid based filler come with pre-made with local anaesthetic inside them while others can be reconstituted with some injectable lignocaine or xylocaine. From more pain sensitive patients, I offer additional temporary anaesthesia with the use of compounded topical numbing cream or ice/cold air applied to the treated area prior to injecting.

I recommend that you consult with an experienced and well trained practitioner to ensure your safety and for optimal results to be achieved.

Tom Jodlovich, MBBS, MPH
Sydney Physician

Are injectables painful?

Hello Luchaboo,

Thank you for your question. While getting stuck in the face with needles is not a pleasant experience, most people find it to be quite tolerable. The needles used for neuro-modulators like Botox, Xeomin, and Dysport are insulin needles and very tiny. Dermal fillers like Restylane and Juvederm typically have lidocaine added for additional comfort, and a surface numbing cream is applied several minutes before the injections are done for even further comfort. Ice packs are often helpful and some patients like to squeeze a "stress ball" too, while other patients come in and out of their liquid face-lift appointment on their lunch break and for them it's a breeze. The point to really make here is that pain is subjective and everyone is different. But if it was that bad, it wouldn't be as wildly popular as it is! I hope this information helps, and good luck!

Richard Dittrich, DO, FACOG

Richard Dittrich, DO, FACOG
Philadelphia OB/GYN

Liquid Lift

There is only mild discomfort with filler injections.  We use a topical numbing cream prior to the procedure.  Also, several of the fillers have lidocaine in them already.  During the procedure, we also use ice packs to help.  Always seek treatment from a qualified professional.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Are fillers painful?

Hello and thanks. An experienced injector should be able to make your experience fairly comfortable with a combination of topical (on the skin) anesthetic and the anesthesia that comes with all the injectables. Patients tolerate the procedure very well without additional medications. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Liquid facelift

During a liquid facelift, various dermal fillers (restylane, juvederm ultra/ultraplus or juvederm voluma) and botox are used to recreate volume deficiencies that have occurred over time. It is a wonderful way to rejuvenate yourself. All of these products are gel form of hyaluronic acid mixed with numbing medication (lidocaine) and therefore, it is not painful at all. In addition, we often use topical numbing on the face to reduce the sensitivity - almost all patients are surprised as to how painless it is! I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified dermatologist who have specialized training in advanced techniques for liquid facelift.

Lesley Rabach, MD