What Kind of Surgery is There for Higher Cheekbones?

i heard of different types of implants and injections, can you explain the different surgeries/procedures for higher cheekbones? also are higher cheekbones worth it, are most people satisfied with the results? what are the dangers/side effects and how likely are they? and is the procedure painful? i was thinking about getting higher cheekbones through surgery but i don't know if it'll suit me so can the surgeon recommend/show me(photoshop image) if the cheekbones will look could?

Doctor Answers 6

Higher cheekbone options

Fillers are an in-office procedure, and often a good start to "try on" the look of larger cheek bones.  The fillers are not permanent, but can be a first step.  Other options are:

-continued fillers as needed (no recovery, and low cost)

-Cheek implants (permanent, but there is a recovery period and a higher cost)

-Removal of the mid cheek, buccal fat pad.  This will often make the cheek bone look bigger by default.  There is a short recovery, no visible incision and a good way to give a more striking look to your appearance.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Cheek augmentation for higher cheekbones

Cheek augmentation is a procedure that is performed for patients that have flat, hypoplastic cheeks. There are malar implants used for the entire cheek and submalar implants used for the lower cheek area. That would need to be discussed with your cosmetic surgeon. The implants are made of synthetic silicone. They are inserted through the gingival sulcus of the mouth and placed over the bone. They will not be palpable or felt by the patient or anyone else if placed in the proper anatomical position. They are supposed to be placed underneath the periosteum directly over the bone. Most patients are very satisfied with the results. It is important to undersize them and not oversize them by picking the right size for the implants.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Radiesse works for higher cheek bones.


1)  Radiesse injected deeply and according to artistic criteria (fairly laterally) works very well and for a long time.

2)  For the right woman, mid face lift is very effective for higher cheekbones.

3)  We use implants very seldom.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Cheek Implants

Enhancing or replacing the volume in your cheeks is a very popular procedure.  There are several methods which can lead to excellent results.  First, is the cheek implant.  This requires a surgical procedure and the placement of the implant directly on the bone.  Second, is the fat grafting.  This involves harvesting fat from somewhere else on your body and injecting it into your cheeks.  Third, is off-the-shelf dermal fillers such as Radiesse or Juvederm.   These are temporary fillers which can enhance your cheeks.  All three methods are good when used in the right patient.  It would be best for you to be seen in person to determine which method is best for you.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Higher Cheekbones

Cheeks can be augmented with the placement of implants, usually through the mouth. Another alternative is the use of fillers like Radiesse or your own fat. First, I suggest you go to the websites of the surgeons supporting RealSelf who will have discussions about this surgery as well as examples of results using the different techniques. Then schedule consultations with those surgeons whose results you like.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Creation of Higher Cheekbones

There are 3 ways to enhance the cheekbones. They are somewhat age related. For all ages, this can be done with either implants (usually through the mouth or lower eyelid) or injection. Injection can be done with off the shelf products like Radiesse® or your own fat (which is mostly permanent). If you are older, facelift or lower eyelid (mid-face) surgery can elevate your own tissues back to their normal position. The best way to find out what you need is with a direct consultation with a Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.