Permanent gummy smile botox-esque procedure? Please help!

Apologies for asking this before, but I thought I'd reword it to explain what I actually meant more accurately. I am interested in the effects of botox for 'gummy smile', but my issue is not my gums showing; rather, it's the way my upper lip moves up so much and how that affects my nose. It's a harsh look. Anyway, is there a permanent procedure that would mimic the effects that botox would have achieved for 'gummy smile'?

Botox for Gummy Smile

If the tip of your nose is being pulled down when you smile, a more permanent way to improve that problem would be to surgically resect that muscle (the depressor septi nasali). This can be performed alone, or as part of a rhinoplasty (should you so desire).

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Gummy Smile

It would be very helpful to see a picture with you smiling to help understand what you are talking about. There are fillers that can help augment your smile. I recommend going for a in person evaluation.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Goodbye Gummy Smile, Hello Gorgeous!

It would be helpful to see a picture to fully understand what you're talking about. Fillers can be used to augment your top lip, if needed, and Botox and fillers can be used to address lines that form when smiling. See an expert. Dr. Emer

Botox treatment

I think it would be beneficial if you were able to upload photos at rest and with smiling so that we can see what exactly it is that is concerning you. I think what you are looking for is injection of Botox into the depressor septi nasalis muscle. This muscle usually causes the tip of the nose to come down when smiling. There is a component of the nasalis muscle which is close to the ala and is responsible for flaring of the nostrill. Injection of this muscle with Botox can help reduce nasal flaring. 

Botox for the DSN

Thank you for your question 123kittypaw. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. A small amount of Botox can be used beside the nostrils to address the gummy smile. This relaxes the muscle that elevates the upper lip when one smiles (LLSAN). For some people the tip of the nose comes down when they smile. A small amount of Botox can be placed in the depressor septi nasii (DSN) muscle just below the nose and above the upper lip. This will relax this muscle and prevent the tip of the nose from going down when smiling. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 month. A more permanent solution would be a surgical rhinoplasty. I hope this helps. Photographs of the nose at rest and smiling may help demonstrate your concern. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician