Can a breast implant move after 3 years?

I had a breast augmentation 3 years ago. I work out 5 days at the gym lifting weight. Last week after working out, I noticed a sharp pain on my left breast. I have been feeling this pain for a week. Whenever I raise or move my left arm, my left breast hurts. Can the implant move after 3 years? I had 350cc high profile partial (under and on the muscle). I am afraid the implant has moved and that is why I have been feeling this sharping/burning pain.

Greetings

Thank you for your photos and question, after 3 year of surgery this becomes a concen and it is best to visit a plastic Surgeon for follow up control just to make sure that the implants has not moved from its position.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

3 year post op pain

Yes, it is unusual but it can happen. Regardless, the fact that you are experiencing sudden pain after 3 years means that something is going on which must be assessed in person. Schedule an appointment to see your surgeon as soon as possible. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast implant malposition

It's very uncommon, but I have seen this happen.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I recommend you to visit your surgeon for a check up and also have your x-rays done, because you need to see if you have something else than discomfort, please get to your doctor and check everyting

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation shift

Implants of the breast can shift  years after implantation. Best to see your plastic surgeon to determine if he could help. Sometimes pectorals muscle spasm can be treated with botox. Warm bath, Ascriptin and laying off chest muscle exercises would be my first course of action. Good luck….

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant Position

The situation you are describing sounds like a pulled muscle or tear. It is also possible to disrupt the capsule in which the breast implant sits. In an extreme case, the position of the implant can change.
This would be a very rare exception (one I have never seen) and though possible, would be unlikely with routine exercise.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants can easily be removed with local anesthesia alone.

Occasionally women decide they no longer want breast implants. They can be easily removed with local anesthesia in most circumstances.

Breast Implant Movement or Pain

After breast augmentation your body forms a thin but strong capsule of fibrous tissue around the implants whether the implants are above or below the muscle. If you were doing weight lifting, you may have strained the pectoral (chest) muscle.  It could be aggravated by arm movement until healed.  In order for the implant to move out of position, the capsule around the implant would have to tear or rupture which is possible, but less likely.  In this case you might note some change in the shape or symmetry of your breasts.  Given this has persisted for a week, you should call your plastic surgeon.

Implant moved?

It is possible, particularly with weight lifters/ body builders. However, the complaint is a change in breast contour, not pain.  It is much more likely that the pain is of musculoskeletal origin. If this persists, a visit to your primary physician will probably be your best bet.

All the best. 

3 years post op

It sounds like you are describing a pulled muscle or tissue surrounding the implant. Typically that type of issue will resolve with rest. If you have ongoing concerns or notice a change in shape/feel of implant,  get in touch with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best