Can I still get a Fraxel Laser Treatment if I occasionally get 1 to 3 few pimples?

I use to have really bad cystic acne causing me to scar on my skin. I have few breakouts but ive been researching that you cant undergo the treatment since it can harm your skin. I went to a dermatology clinic and they said a fraxel treatment is what i need. I just want to fix my scarring or lesson the scars. I also would like to know what is the best treatment that works and is less invasive for im afraid of risks.

Fraxel OK With Slight Acne

As long as your acne is under control, Fraxel should help to resolve some of your scars. Fraxel Re:Store will also help shrink the sebaceous glands, which may help lessen the number of breakouts. Please be sure to consult with a board-certified dermatologist to get help with your acne and scars.

San Diego Dermatologist

Thanks for your query. Fraxel is one of the best treatments available for acne scars. It creates micro injury to the skin leading to the formation of new collagen. It comes with a little downtime and the most common side effects that can occur are Pih, redness, scabbing. Fraxel should be performed once you are treated with acne and you have not had accutane for the last 2 months as these increases the chances of proliferation and scabbing. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser for Acne Scars and skin Acne

It is perfectly alright to have a small amount of acne and still have Fraxel laser as long as the current breakouts do not cause acne scars.  I often prescribe Bactroban ointment to use during the process and afterwards for such instances.  Please consult an expert in acne and scars for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Safe Acne Scar Solutions--lasers, microneedling/prp, fillers

Yes, you can still do Fraxel if you have mild acne. I suggest you get a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist who can give you a plan for both acne and scarring. There are many combination of treatments that can be used such as lasers, microneedling/PRP, fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Cystic acne scars

I have used Fraxel in the past for acne scars and believe that the Infini is much better. It is ok to get even if you have mild break out. It will actually decrease you acne by shrinking the sebaceous glands. You can get Fraxel with minor acne as well. It should help acne in the long run too. Sometimes it will exacerbate acne and some require Minocin after the laser.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fraxel laser treatment

You can undergo Fraxel laser treatment as long as your acne breakouts are under control. We all have or or two pimples now and then, and it is completely fine to proceed with Fraxel treatment. It is important that your provider thinks that your skin is ready for laser treatment in order to minimize any side effects. Moreover, your provider has to know what topical and oral medications were you using since there has to be certain time gap between your last application or dose and first laser treatment (as it is the case with Accutane and other medications). Good luck! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician