Can I get tattoo excision on my leg? (Photo)

I have a tattoo on the right side of my right leg. About two inches from the ankle. I need a small part of it removed immediately for employment purposes. Is skin excision a possibility? Also, how long is the healing time and are there any doctors in the area of NJ that do this? If you look at the picture, I just need the tail sticking out cut off.

I think this tattoo is too large and the risks too great to consider an excision.

I would personally not recommend an excision for such a large tattoo. The risks of scarring and infection are too great on the lower leg.  This would possibly require a skin graft.  I think you should only consider treating this with lasers.  The dark color will respond well to laser treatment.  This is the safest treatment, the least risky treatment and probably the least expensive.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo excision

Unfortunately, your tattoo is too large for excision.  There simply just isn't enough extra skin to remove it all.  Even just removing the tail wouldn't be possible as the skin is quite tight in this area.  Laser removal will also be challenging as your skin is darker.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Picosure laser for tattoo removal

Thank you for posting a photo. I recommend learning more about the Picosure Laser to permanently remove your tattoo. This revolutionary new laser will remove your tattoo in fewer sessions than ordinary lasers without harming the surrounding tissue.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Tatoo Removal on leg

Tattoos are easy to treat now with the sophisticated lasers available.  However, an excision in this area will be extremely difficult and take a long time to heal.  Perhaps you can cover the tattoo while you explore your options in getting it removed with laser.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with tattoo removal for the best results.