Can I go to a doctor in Florida with my results and get a medical clearance for Breast Augmentation?

I live in NY and I am having my breast augmentation surgery in Fl, I had my blood work and physical done with my primary Dr in NY. I need a medical clearance but was told by my Dr they can not give me one because they are not licensed in FL. Can I go to a Dr in FL with my results and get a medical clearance? How can I get a medical clearance in Miami,FL.? Can I go to any DR. Or do I need to go to a specific Dr.? Please help my surgery is Friday and I get to FL Wed night.

Medical clearance before surgery

Your surgeon performing your breast augmentation should really be helping you coordinate this.  I believe it is perfectly reasonable to have your primary care physician in New York  give you medical clearance for surgery in Florida. I do agree that your surgery can be performed in the New York area. All plastic surgeons perform breast augmentations with a high level of expertise and skill.

Medical clearance out-of-state

The doctor giving you the clearance does not have to have a license in Florida since he is not seeing you in Florida. The clearing doctor only has to be able to say that you are physically fit and give any medical recommendations at the time and place where that Dr. is seeing you. That being said, if your doctors do not want to give you clearance you should talk to your surgeon who may be able to point you to someone else that is near him.

I also agree that you should carefully consider your reasons for traveling to have your surgery.  If you are traveling to be seen by a world renowned surgeon that is one thing.   However if you are traveling for price and you were attempting to reduce costs, that always has a way of backfiring.  You may be exposing yourself to a higher risk of complications, and once you travel far, it is difficult to have those complications addressed.  I have personally taken care of many patients that have regretted traveling for their procedures and have spent thousands of dollars in order to correct complications. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Can I go to a doctor in Florida with my results and get a medical clearance for Breast Augmentation

It would certainly be a lot easier to have your surgery closer to where you live not only for medical clearance but also for long term follow up. You don't want to have to worry about flying to Florida every time you have a question.  That said, your Florida plastic surgeon may be able to connect you with a physician willing to see you and provide medical clearance.  It's unusual, however, to get a last minute appointment, and a lot also hinges on whether or not you have any medical issues which require further investigation.

Richard L. Zeff, MD
Portsmouth Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

A medical clearance is probably ok to take with you to Florida, but you are probably better off having the surgery locally in NY. There are plenty of plastic surgeons here that can do the work.

Medical clearance

Yes you will be able to go to a doctor in Florida but your insurance may not pay for it and you may be responsible for the cost! GOOD LUCK