I have a large port wine stain on my right cheek - any advice on treatment?

Port wine stain and lasers

The pulse dye laser is the treatment of choice, you can fade the port wine stain substantially in the majority of cases. If treated early, complete removal is possible. I perform treatments 3 months apart, and you may need upto 6 or more, depending on the size, location and other factors. Video below shows how I use laser to remove port wine stains and other vascular birthmarks. All the bestDr Davin LimLaser DermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

See expert

Traditionally pulse dye laser has been treatment of choice. However it is only partially effective and can not eradicate the port wine stain completely. There are other approaches besides laser and would limit the scope of treatment available.Consult an expert at the medical school in your state with the largest port wine stain experience.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment of facial PWS

Optimal laser treatment for PWS depends on the thickness of the lesion. Most often a pulsed dye laser with 585 to 595 nm is the best choice with multiple treatments for the typical flat or macular lesion. Nodular areas may require other lasers, radiosurgery, etc for optimal treatment

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

PortWine Stain -- Pulsed Dye Laser, ProYellow Laser, Excel V

There are many options for this type of birth mark it will need laser treatments over time.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Port wine stain on cheek

The pulsed dye laser has been used successfully to treat facial port wine stains for many years.  There are other lasers available as well, but the pulsed dye laser has a proven track record and likely has the best safety profile.  Examples of pulsed dye laser include the Cynergy and V-Beam.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Port Wine

Thank you for your question.  Port wine stains can be treated by laser.  The current gold standard laser for vascular lesions is the Cutera Excel V.  V beam will give you good results as well.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon