Tracheal shave for young woman?

I am 19 and I was born female. However, I am petite and my trachea is prominent which makes me self conscious. You always hear an "Adam's apple" being characteristic of males so that on top of the appearance overall bothers me. I was wondering if it is possible to reduce this? And if so how much does it generally cost? Thank you

Tracheal shave

This can be improved with a tracheal shave. It requires a small horizontal scar on the neck that most commonly heals quite well. We charge $3000 - $3500 depending on the type of anesthesia chosen.

Tracheal shave

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Adam's apple reduction

Marie1317,

Thanks for your question.  An Adam's apple reduction is done in all types of patients to reduce the prominence of the thyroid notch, and is usually in the range of $3500-$6500 depending on the type of anesthesia and facility it is performed in.  Good luck!

Adam's apple reduction

Marie1317,

REadily done

Marie,

This is something I do all the time for young women. The scar is well hidden and the results are predictably excellent.

REadily done

Marie,

Tracheal Shave

The thyroid cartilage can be reduced by shaving down the cartilage, this is also known as a tracheal shave. In my practice, the cost for a tracheal shave is $6,450 which includes anesthesia, doctors fees, facility fees, pre-operative and post-operative appointments. 

Javad Sajan, MD

Tracheal Shave

Javad Sajan, MD

Thyroid cartilage shave

Absolutely the cartilage shave type of surgery can be done in men and women.  The thyroid cartilage tends to be more prominent in men and they seek the surgery more often, but there are women who are good candidates too. 

I would recommend going to a facial plastic surgeon; who is someone who has done training in Ear Nose and Throat surgery and then plastic surgery.  These doctors under stand the thryoid cartilage and the voicebox very well, as well as the aesthetics of the neck.

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Thyroid cartilage shave

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Adam's apple reduction

The Adam's apple is made of the thyroid cartilage in your neck which both women and men have. The thyroid cartilage typically enlarges in men more than women during puberty and becomes prominent. Your vocal cords lie within the thyroid cartilage and can be damaged with removing the prominent portions, so you will definitely want to go to an experienced surgeon who identifies your vocal cords with a camera during surgery. With that being said, it is definitely possible to do this procedure. It typically will cost anywhere between $2000-4000.

Sarah Saxon, MD

Sarah Saxon, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adam's apple reduction

Sarah Saxon, MD

Sarah Saxon, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adam's apple shave in women

Hi, while the Adam's apple is more common in men, both men and women have tracheal cartilage, which is what causes the prominence. Therefore, if you have the prominence it can be addressed with a shaving procedure. In general, this will cost anywhere between 2,000-4,000 depending on your area. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Adam's apple shave in women

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

We all have a thyroid cartilage.

When you look at an Adam's apple you are seeing the front of a structure called the thyroid cartilage, part of your voice box.  Men and women both have this structure, but it tends to be larger, pointier, and more visible in men.  In some women the thyroid cartilage is more prominent than in others, and with a thin neck it may be quite visible.  If having a visible adam's apple makes you self conscious, it can certainly be reduced.  Most of us who perform the procedure frequently do so through a small incision high in the neck.  You want an experienced surgeon as overly aggressive resection can put your voice at risk.  Prices vary by region, but typically it is around $3,000.  Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

We all have a thyroid cartilage.

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Adam's Apple Reduction - Cartilage Shave

Thank you for your question about Adam's Apple Reduction. Pictures would be helpful

In general, yes, Adam's Apple Reduction is possible. Realself provided data for the average cost of this procedure and others in your geographic area.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

"Tracheal Shave"

It is possible.  Varies by surgeon and location.

A prominent cartilage is often characteristic of masculine features.  

Jordan Deschamps-Braly, MD

"Tracheal Shave"

Jordan Deschamps-Braly, MD