Tracheal shave for young woman?

I am 19 and I was born female. However, I am petite and my trachea is prominent which makes me self conscious. You always hear an "Adam's apple" being characteristic of males so that on top of the appearance overall bothers me. I was wondering if it is possible to reduce this? And if so how much does it generally cost? Thank you

Adam's apple shave in women

Hi, while the Adam's apple is more common in men, both men and women have tracheal cartilage, which is what causes the prominence. Therefore, if you have the prominence it can be addressed with a shaving procedure. In general, this will cost anywhere between 2,000-4,000 depending on your area. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

We all have a thyroid cartilage.

When you look at an Adam's apple you are seeing the front of a structure called the thyroid cartilage, part of your voice box.  Men and women both have this structure, but it tends to be larger, pointier, and more visible in men.  In some women the thyroid cartilage is more prominent than in others, and with a thin neck it may be quite visible.  If having a visible adam's apple makes you self conscious, it can certainly be reduced.  Most of us who perform the procedure frequently do so through a small incision high in the neck.  You want an experienced surgeon as overly aggressive resection can put your voice at risk.  Prices vary by region, but typically it is around $3,000.  Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Tracheal shave

This can be improved with a tracheal shave. It requires a small horizontal scar on the neck that most commonly heals quite well. We charge $3000 - $3500 depending on the type of anesthesia chosen.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Adam's Apple Reduction - Cartilage Shave

Thank you for your question about Adam's Apple Reduction. Pictures would be helpful

In general, yes, Adam's Apple Reduction is possible. Realself provided data for the average cost of this procedure and others in your geographic area.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

"Tracheal Shave"

It is possible.  Varies by surgeon and location.

A prominent cartilage is often characteristic of masculine features.  

Jordan Deschamps-Braly, MD

Tracheal shave.

Thank you for your question. It is easy to address this in a minor surgical procedure. The American association of plastic surgery website has a listing of surgeons in your area who may offer the procedure. A consultation with their office is best to determine the likely cost of this procedure. 

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Adams Apple Recduction

A shave excision of the laryngeal prominence or "Adams Apple" is done under intravenous sedation and local infiltration anesthesia.  A small incision is made  in a transverse skin crease of the neck directly over the prominence. The cost may vary depending on your geographic location and the expertise and experience of your surgeon.

Michael Eisemann M.D.
Plaastic surgeon and ENT Surgeon
Houston, Texaas