When will I see results with Picosure tattoo removal?

I had my first laser session with Picosure to remove 2 separate tattoos 2 days ago. One tattoo is very small and simple ( about the size of a nickel) and I saw immediate results. The other tattoo is larger (about 3-4 inches) with heavy lettering. The results are not very noticeable do far. Are the results visible immediately, or can it take multiple days to see an effect?

Picosure Results

Picosure’s ultra-short pulse duration goes beyond photothermal action creating an intense photomechanical impact, patented pressure wave, resulting in greater disruption of the target for better clearance with fewer treatments. With a few Picosure tattoo removal treatments you may have 95%+ tattoo removal effectiveness. All patients noticed improvement within a week or two.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tattoo Removal Results

The results take weeks to see and will require a series of treatments.  If this wasn't explained properly where you went for your procedures, please switch locations.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo Removal Results

Hi Gib.  Fading after tattoo removal is at minimum weeks and preferably months.  The way in which this process works is that the light from the laser hits the inks, heats the particles and breaks them into smaller pieces.  The body then "digests" these smaller particles of ink over a period of months after the treatments.  It wouldn't me unusual to not see much after 2 days, but you should see some fading after 2 months.  Picosure is not the best type of laser for black or deep blue tattoos and also will not remove red colors so the color also makes a difference in how quickly the ink fades.  

To see examples of tattoo removal for our Los Angeles and Orange County, CA patients, click on the link below for before and after photos.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD