I Am Worried About This Mole On My Stomach?

I have a mole on my stomach snd dont actuslly know if ive always had it or not, its slighty darker in the middle, flat, around 6mm, it does each look sore or bleed, ive been watching it for the last few month and its never changed is it cancer?? Or coild it be nothing serious, surely i would ov seen a change while ive been watching it if it was serious??

Doctor Answers 6

Identifying a mole as "cancerous" or not... see a dermatologist!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best way to identify possibly dangerous moles is to use the ABCDEs of skin cancer, but more than anything, you need to have it looked at and a biopsy done for final diagnosis. Often moles that look suspicious aren't, and moles that appear benign are dangerous. It's best to just schedule an appointment with a dermatologist and have it removed if you are concerned, or upon inspection, the physician is concerned.

Worried About a New Mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your best option is to see a board-certified dermatologist. They can evaluate the lesion and tell you whether it is benign or needs to be removed. The ABCDs of melanoma are for Asymmetry, Border (irregular, jagged or blurred), Color (red, white, blue or black or variegate color), Diameter (great than 5-6 mm, about the size of a pencil eraser). But there is also an E, which stands for evolving (i.e. changing....getting bigger, darker, raised...i.e. any change). While not all melanomas have all the ABCDEs, most have a couple, and your pigmented lesion has at least a couple. See the dermatologist and stop delaying. Skin cancer is 100% curable if caught and treated early, but the prognosis becomes much worse if treatment is delayed. Good luck.

Mole removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that your see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Removing a mole that is suspicious

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A plastic surgeon or dermatologist would be appropriate to consult with if you are concerned about a particular mole on the body. Surgery90210

Dark mole on stomach

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Concern About A Mole - Be Evaluated By A Dermatologist!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We typically recommend that you use the ABCDEs to help determine which moles could be of concern.  However, I really urge you to make an appointment to see a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation of the mole and if necessary, a skin biopsy to have it checked for confirmation of diagnosis.  There are many lesions on the skin that look concerning or uneven in color or texture, but which are actually very benign in nature. And then there are lesions that look very safe and even, but which actually could be of concern to a well-trained dermatologist.  Click on the link below to learn more about the ABCDEs and moles. 


These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.