Double-chin on ONE Side of Face. What is my Best Option? (photo)

In 2002, I asked my Dr. about my one-sided double chin and he referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist said that I likely had nerve damage that was likely from a swollen gland in childhood. Several of my neck muscles are apparently not connected to the nerves and other supporting muscles are doing the work, giving me an asymetrical chin and neckline. Would an electrical-stimulation device would allow me to exercise my atrophied neck muscles? Would liposuction improve my appearance?

Unilateral Double Chin

There may be definite treatments to help reduce the protrusion on your left side. However, they likely won't come from a plastic surgeon. Your best bet is to seek a qualified ENT nearby who can offer some options. Best of luck! 

One-sided double chin from nerve damage

It looks like your salivary gland on that side is protruding where the supporting muscles are weak.  It is not uncommon in facelift procedures to resect excess salivary tissue, tighten the muscle sling, re-suspend the salivary gland, or perform any combination of these to get a better contour.  Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with salivary gland contouring.

Treatment of an Asymmetrical Double Chin

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question. I would recommend an in-person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon.  If clinically indicated, an MRI would be helpful to determine if this asymmetry is due to an enlarged sub-mandibular gland or if it is in fact a fatty deposit. Correction of a double chin due to excess subcutaneous fat can be treated either though a surgical or non-invasive approaches. Liposuction of the chin and neck produces consistently good results for appropriate candidates. We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.  If there is mild to moderate skin laxity, combining the treatment with Ultherapy is an excellent option.  Best regards,

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Injection Treatments for Chin Fat

Kybella is an FDA- approved treatment for treating chin fat. Sagging skin and muscle atrophy would not be affected but Kybella can help contour the asymmetry when subcutaneous fat is evident. Often 2 or 3 treatments are needed to completely contour the chin and remove the unwanted fat. A skillfully trained provider can determine if you are a candidate for Kybella vs other surgical neck procedures.

#Kybellainjections    #doublechin   #fattreatments

FDA-approved Kybella Injections for Chin Fat

Kybella is an exciting new FDA- approved treatment for submental fullness, or double chin. Kybella (Deoxycholic Acid) is injected into the fat pad under the chin for permanent results. Often 2 or 3 treatments are needed to completely contour the chin and remove the unwanted fat. A skillfully trained provider can determine if you are a candidate for Kybella vs other surgical neck procedures.
The procedure is safe and effects are evident even after one treatment!  if the asymmetrical side is subcutaneous fat, then Kybella can help to contour.

#Kybellatreatments #doublechin #fatreductiontreatments

Muscle Laxity or Gland Descent or Both

If this is due to muscle laxity or gland descent, this can be improved with a neck lift type of procedure.  The MRI should have determined if there was a mass or increased size of salivary gland.  Liposuction will not help to any great degree.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetric neck volume should be worked up.

The photo demonstrates asymmetric volume distribution in the neck. Nerve injury to the platysma causing this is unlikely. Enlargement of the sub mandibular gland and other possible causes should be ruled out before diagnosing a functional muscle problem.

Neck Mass?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Not to alarm you, but I think your  first priority should be to maintain a definitive diagnosis of the problem  area.  This may require additional consultation and/or imaging studies ( MRI).

Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options can be discussed.

I Have a Double-chin on ONE Side of my Face. What is my Best Option?

Seek work up from head and neck surgeon ASAP. You could have a salivary gland tumor, prolapsed gland, an anatomic/congenital deformity. I doubt it is of neurologic origin. Please follow up with your findings Best to you. 

Asymmetrical Neckline

Hello, I'm agree with the possibility of protruded salivary gland due to week neck muscles more than redundant fat. In case this is the real diagnosis, we can use the same submental approach as  in Face/Neck  Lift ,  for neck muscles tightening and prolapsed  salivary gland. Need to be done by experienced Certified Plastic Surgeon, not bad idea to re-evaluate your case by  a Head and Neck Surgeon.

Happy Holidays 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon