Will the gap between my breast after breast augmentation reduce after swelling? (photo)

I am currently 3 days post-op & am very worried about the gap in between my breast. They are still very swollen. The gap is raised about 1cm off the chest wall and at least an inch away from each other . I would like to know whether after the swelling goes if it will result in a nice cleavage & come closer together? Or stay the same width? I have attached a before & after pic for you to review. I am so worried. - Breast Aug 21st October 2014 - 295cc Silicone - 5'1", 43kgs - 21 Years Old

Worried about gap between breasts

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

You look as though you will have a nice result but everything now is very swollen. It will take weeks, indeed months to see your final result.

Your before picture (thank you!) shows that you have a fairly wide sternum (breast bone).
Breast enlargement will not reduce this width - and cleavage is determined by the width of the sternum, the size and mobility of the breast and breast shaping from a bra. 

Be sure to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Cleavage after breast augmentation

If your implants are 'under the muscle', there is only so close they can come together because the muscle attached to your sternum (chest bone).  But I wouldn't worry too much.  What I find is that once everything settles and softens, usually over 3-4 months, you can usually get excellent cleavage using the right bra.

Breast augmentation results are only sometimes instant

Hi JJ, everyone goes through stress and regret a few days after their surgery as they look at their result hoping to see perfection. Your implants are going to change a lot in the next few weeks and even months- just give things time. Even if your cleavage does remain wide, you will still have gorgeous cleavage when you wear a bra. A lot of us don't realise that cleavage is something that is achieved by a bra as very few women (unless they naturally have symmastia) have breasts that sit over their sternum. Go see your surgeon- I am sure that will reassure you. 

Will the gap between my breast after breast augmentation reduce after swelling?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is far too early to be concerned at this point as your breast shape will change dramatically over the next 6-12 weeks.  As the implants to move down into the pocket beneath the breast the distance between your breasts may improve.  The final distance between the breasts will depend on the width of your breast bone or sternum.

I would concentrate on the nice result to have this early try not to where and wait for the implants to reach their final position.

3 days post operative

Thank you for your question.  There will still be significant swelling at just 3 days post-op.  The swelling can take up to 6 weeks to go down, and it varies from patient to patient.  The implants and breast will soften and look more natural with time as swelling goes down and the implant settle.  I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but if you have serious concerns you need to see your plastic surgeon.

If you would like additional information on breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

SWELLING AFTER BREAST AUGMENTATION

At three days post op, you still have significant swelling.  Over the next few weeks the swelling resolve and you will have a better idea of what your final result will look like.  I recommend giving your body more time to recover and to let your breasts settle around your implants.  If later on down the road you are still unhappy with your cleavage, perhaps a revision could be done or your implants exchanged.  Be sure to follow your plastic surgeon’s post operative instructions carefully as they are designed to help minimize recovery time and help you achieve an optimal result.

Be well and good luck!

@norrisplastic

Gap between breasts after augmentation

Congratulations on your surgery.  Swelling is usually at its greatest, days three to five after surgery and then it can take several months for your implants to settle before you see the final result.  Breast implants must be placed in a balanced manner under the nipple position, not more outwards or more inwards.  I advise my patients that the "gap" following breast implants will depend on the chest wall shape and nipple position existing prior to surgery.  In your situation, a tighter cleavage would only be possible if larger or wider implants were inserted.  This may, however, not be appropriate for your general breast breast base width.  It is very early days but if you have serious concerns you should discuss these with your surgeon.

Breast gap is what it is

Most women ask to have a nice defined cleavage.  However, when an implant is placed under the muscle, the muscle attachment into the sternal bone is the medial limit as to how close the implants can sit.  Normally, the gap you have before surgery will be the gap you have after, as seen in your pictures.

Martin Jugenburg, MD