How Long Does Juvederm Last?

I've been researching how long Juvederm lasts, but what people say in Juvederm reviews and what the FDA says don't really match up.  Can someone tell me, how long does Juvederm last? Does where you have the Juvederm injections in your face make a difference in how long it lasts?

Juvederm longevity dictated by where it is placed.

Good question, but the answer can be very technical. The value or longevity of a Hyaluronic Acid filler (HA) is determined by the amount of cross-linking of the gel molecules. The body is very effective at removing things that do not belong. The beauty of HA is that it is also produced in the body so that it can stay because it is not a completely foreign object. Collagen that used to be injected was from cow hide so that it was rapidly identified and then broken down by the body. It also required a test to determine if you had an allergy.

HA is not broken down by this pathway, it is broken down other ways. The more solidly (or crosslinked) a HA product is the longer it will last. The absolute amount of HA in a syringe does not translate into more product remaining in an injected area. ONLY the crosslinked amount of HA in the syringe will actually remain. The non-crosslinked product will be disolved in a few days. The non-crosslinked HA is smoother and allows for easier injection and some controllability in some hands but will NOT contribute to longevity.

Restylane is a higher concentration of cross-linked molecules of HA than Juvederm. So Restylane is stiffer, requires more skill to inject correctly, more skill to place correctly and will last longer. In some areas these are desirable consequences like the nasolabial folds. Juvederm is softer and easier to inject and feels different so it is better in the lips but it will go away faster.

Juvederm in lips? 4- 6 months?
Restylane in lips? 5-6 months?
in face? can last over a year - both products
Nasolabial folds? 6 months and up depending on injector.

How long Juvederm will last depends on treated area, injector skill, patient factors

It is very hard to come up with a generic answer for how long Juvederm lasts because many factors affect the duration of response. A skillful injector will inject Juvederm in the correct layer and use the correct amount to give you the result you desire.

If all those criteria have been met, then Juvederm can last an average of 6 months in the lips and nasolabial folds and upto a year in the tear troughs under the eyes. However, I have had patients who I have injected Juvederm in their lips (same doctor, same patient, same lip :), and I have gotten variable response times.

Sometimes it can last for 6 months and sometimes 8-10 months. So, in short, it depends on a lot of factors, but on average 6 months to one year is the correct answer.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Juvederm lasts for 4-6 months, maybe more; area injected matters some.

When Juvederm (or Restylane) is injected into an area of active muscular contraction (for example, frown lines that have not been Botox or Dysport-treated), the filler can be mechanically moved away from the precise area of injection by the continued action of the muscle. That is why patients who have frown lines that are not paralyzed (Botox or Dysport) but are treated ONLY with a filler (Juvederm or Restylane) will sometimes complain that their "Juvederm didn't last as long as you said it would."

I have also had patients who (initially) followed my recommendation for Botox and Juvederm (for deep frown lines that do not completely resolve with Botox alone) do very nicely, and then return 6 months later for re-treatment and decide to not use the Botox, just Restylane, hoping to "save money." The Restylane is moved and massaged out of position by the action of the (non-paralyzed) frown muscles, and the patient then believes that "Restylane doesn't last as long as Juvederm."

The higher the muscular activity, the more quickly the filler "goes away!"

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lasts up to 6 months

It depends on where it is injected but typically Juvederm Ultra lasts 4-5 months and if you use it regularly, you may notice that it lasts up to 6 months. I have not seen it last up to one year.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD

Juvederm lasts longer than Restylane in most areas

I have had many years of experience with all of the different fillers. When comparing Juvederm and Restylane - Juvederm lasts much longer in most parts of the face. In the lips, neither lasts very long.

Keep in mind that results vary from patient to patient, but usually I see:

Juvederm - 6-10 months

Restylane - 5-7 months

Both last 3-5 months in the lips

Robert M. Freund, MD

Duration of fillers

The first thing to clear up with this question is that we are really addressing not how long the filler "lasts," but instead how long it provides the desired correction. In reality, the filler starts getting degraded the second it is injected, and many factors will affect the rate of that degradation. This is not an all or nothing phenomenon, meaning that the filler doesn't stay put and all of a sudden just one day disappear, it is a slow and gradual process.

The six months that you often see quoted is based on the FDA trials for these products where they were looking at endpoints of correction. Once the product dropped below that endpoint that was arbitrarily set as determining whether the product worked or not, it's duration was set. That does not mean that the product was all gone, it just means that as far as that FDA arbitrarily set standard, it was not meeting it anymore.

What that all means for you is: you may not have the same rigid standard set that the FDA does for correction, so you may think that it "lasts" much longer or shorter in yourself. It is true that the product does go away, but it happens slowly over time, so even if you start to notice a bit of a loss with time, you may not need as much product in the future to get that desired correction again, because there's still likely some product left behind.

I have seen with my own eyes filler such as Juvederm or Restylane that is still present in the tissue more than a year after its original injection histologically while removing a skin cancer in the area.

There are definitely some factors that affect the duration of filler:

1. Placement of the filler is important, if it is placed in and active area it will be moved and agitated more exposing it to the enzyme in our skin that dissolves it, and thus it will go away faster in these areas of high movement. Your injector's skill and knowing the proper planes and location to put it in is also very important when considering this.

2. The product itself does matter. More highly cross-linked products will last longer, but as you can see by reading through other people's answers, there is great debate as to which products last longer, and honestly there is not a good answer for that. Doctors' opinions are all over the board, which tells you that nobody really knows - even the ones that think they do, as these are all reputable opinions. For some of the newer hyaluronic acid fillers such as Voluma or Perlane, even the FDA agrees they last longer, up to two years. When you get into other classes of fillers, such as Sculptra, you can look at durations that are even longer than that.

3. Often unspoken, but equally important; if you had prior filler, the current filler will likely last longer if placed in the same area. This goes back to what I mentioned before about having some residual product in the skin, even if it is not providing noticeable correction.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS, FASDS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm longevity

Every patient is different. I find it lasts 8 months to a year in most of my patients.I find it is best not to totally let it go away but to come for your next treatment before it is totally gone. This way the results get better and better the longer you use it.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Juvederm last.

Juvederm breaks down hyaluronic acid, a sugar that is naturally found in the skin, at different rates. This leads to a variable length of longevity.  Generally, the product lasts four to six months for lips, nine to twelve months for the lines around the mouth and around 12 months for the cheeks.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Juvederm longevity

Juvederm can last varying amounts of time depending what areas of the face are injected. I find that if it is injected in areas where is lots of muscular movement it tends not to last as long, such as areas around the mouth. I tell patients that it will slowy go away over time and all of the Juvederm may not be gone for months, but the volume effect will diminish as the months go away. All that being said, it is much better than collagen, which did not last long at all and was not as good as Juvederm for adding volume.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Juvederm will last about 6 months on average

Juvederm is a filler made of hyaluronic acid which is found in our bodies normally. It provides excellent correction of nasolabial folds (the fold that separates the mouth area from the cheek area) as well as finer lines and wrinkles. Juvederm is also used to plump the lips and give more definition to the lip edge.

Dr. Brown (answer above) has given a very good explanation of the science behind Juvederm. It is my experience that Juvederm lasts for about 6 months. Of course this will be slightly different from person to person and depend on where the Juvederm is placed.

Kari L. Colen, MD