Typical amount of fat removed in lipo?

I has lipo on my upper and lower abs, sides, flanks and upper /lower bra rolls. Is that atypical amount? After three weeks I'm still numb on most of the back and hips. Does that mean significant swelling is present. I haven't lost a dress size yet after three weeks. Nervous that I went through this for little result. My came recommended and is affililiate with Elite a Body in Beverly Hills.

What is typical amount of fat removed?

There is no "typical" amount of fat to be removed. Each person's situation varies. It's important to have a very specific conversation with your surgeon, not someone else speaking for the doctor, about what your results are expected to be. It's normal to have patches of numbness for weeks or months after a liposuction. Follow all the recommendations of your physician and if you have any questions or concerns, be sure to contact the office to discuss it. A conscientious physician will welcome your questions. 

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Typical amount of fat removed in lipo?

There is no "typical" amount of fat removal in liposuction.  Generally it depends on the amount of fat the patient has.  Most surgeons will try to remove enough to create the contour desired without putting patients at undue risk.  You are very early in your recovery.  Give it more time.  Remember, more is not necessary more when it comes to surgery.  Good Luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

You are very early in your healing phase and still have a fair amount of swelling. Numbness at this time is also very common. Please wear your compression garment, and follow all your post opertive instructions. Keep your folow up visits with your surgeon and give yourself time to heal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Fat Removal

The amount of fat removed has to be limited to 5L in the united states for safety and legal purposes.  Numbness and swelling for many weeks to months after the procedure is normal.  If you are concerned please speak to your physician or get a second opinion from a revision specialist. Best, Dr. Emer.

Average amount of fat removed in liposuction

Removing too much fat may lead to shock if fluid is not replaced. Average amount would be between 3-5 liters or less for liposculpture where defining contours is emphasized. The numbness is due to the evacuation of the fat and it is an expected outcome which may take 6 months to resolve. Your tissue is still swollen and it takes 3-6 months for the swelling to subside, you have to wear the compression garments and it may help if you do lymphatic drainage massage or use non invasive slimming machines/treatments. Be patient. All beautiful things take time to flourish.

Amount of fat removed with liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Fortunately, numbness is normal for months after liposuction - give it time.
  • You are still swollen at 3 weeks - it will be another 3 weeks or more to see your final result.
  • It isn't clear how much fat was removed - just the areas treated.
  • How much should have been removed depends on how much was present -
  • And this varies with your height, weight and the amount of fat in each area.
  • The maximum that can be removed safely is 5,000 cc.
  • So ask the surgeon for a copy of your operative report which should state how much fat was removed from each area.
  • With that information and a pre-op photo, one can better advise you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Typical amount of fat removed in lipo?

Without having examined you its difficult to tell you anything about the quality of work you have had, however everything you are describing sounds like a normal postoperative course. You will still be swollen and shouldn't expect to go down a size just yet. Be patient and wait for the healing to take its course but if you are still unhappy at your next followup then be sure to discuss this with your surgeon. Best of luck!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC