Can I start putting ointment on my incisions after the bandages come off and stitches have dissolved?

I took my bandages off last night in the shower and my incisions are begging for more Easter and I just want to put triple anabiotic point meant on them but I was told not to. However, on my next follow up I believe there is some ointment they sell for scar treatment. Does it really help or can I just put ointment and vitamin E on my incisions?

Wound follow up

Hello,  thank you for your question.  I will suggest you to follow your PS instructions.   Every doctor may have some differents protocols in the management of the wounds.   However,  triple antibiotic ointment can be useful for your wound care.  Have a great day. 

Breast augmentation: using ointment after bandages have come off

It's always best to follow your surgeon's protocol. Incisions do like moisture to enhance healing. I tell my patients to use bacitracin ointment for a week, unless they are allergic to it. Then they can use a gentle moisturizer, like cocoa butter, vitamin E, or baby lotion, until the sixth week. After that time they could use anything they wish, including scar creams. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this information helps.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Antibiotic Ointment

Dear sumofme, Every surgeon has different protocols. Most of us would agree that keeping the wound moist the first 48 hours is advantageous, but after that point, there is not much science to indicate continued use. As a matter of fact, in my experience I have found that patients using topical antibiotic ointment more than 8-10 days have a very high chance of becoming allergic to it and having a topical dermatitis ensue. Regarding the scar treatments, there are many new products that have been developed in the last four years that have shown clear-cut benefit, and I would depend on your plastic surgeon’s advice for the same. They are far superior to the over-the-counter Mederma which was formerly recommended. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

After breast augmentation care

Thank you for your question.It is always best to follow your surgeons post op guidelines. Scar gels/creams are available to help minimize the scarring.  You can Try Skin Medica scar recovery gel or a product recommended by your surgeon. Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Ointment to incision

Thanks for your inquiry, there must be a reason your doctor advised against triple Abx ointment. Please ask your surgeon's office why?  As for scar creams-Biocorneum and Scarguard are examples of commercially available scar creams sold by surgeons' offices.  I believe these products have the best clinical evaluation and study proving results. Good Luck.  

Please check with your doctor first to see what you can apply to your scars and when. Some doctors use glue for closure, and ointments would remove it too early.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Incision Care

I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon specifically to advise you about how to treat your incisions. Typically, keeping them clean and covered with steri strips for a couple weeks is sufficient to see them well closed. Once they are well healed you may be advised to apply a scar gel. If your Plastic Surgeon has concerns about healing/infection then they may advise a topical antibiotic.
All the best

This is a question best addressed by your surgeon.  There must have been a reason for your doctor to tell you not to put the ointment on the incisions, so it is best to follow that advice.  Ask him/her for recommendations for what to use on them.  There are scar treatments available, but it is best to get your surgeon's advice if they are right for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Applying ointment on incisions

Thank you for your question.  Without knowing what surgery you had, it is hard to give you a recommendation but what I can tell you is that it is very important to follow your surgeons instructions. Post operative care is critical in your recovery and if your surgeon recommended that you do not apply ointment yet then I would listen to his advice and wait until he clears you to.
Best wishes in your recovery/endeavors! 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon