Do breast implants prevent further natural breast growth? If it does, will I be able to get bigger implants?

I got breast surgery when I was 18 and I'm 19 now. I was wondering if it would interfere if I gained 30 pounds because I'm underweight so I need to. I have silicone textured anatomical implants. They are still an A cup. He said it was the biggest I could go because the size of the implant would be wider than my body. I don't know if it's because I'm thin or the type of implant. I wanted to be at least a C.

Do implants affect breast growth?

The short answer is no, breast implants should not affect breast growth.  The breasts are composed of actual breast tissue as well as fatty tissue, so if you plan to gain 30 pounds you will likely see an increase in the amount of fatty tissue in your breasts.  The actual breast tissue will not change much once you are in your later teen years. I find it unusual that you would still be an A cup after an augmentation.  An experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to help you achieve a reasonable size increase if the surgery is carefully planned based on your anatomy, measurements and amount of breast tissue to begin with.I recommend you follow up with your original surgeon (if they are a board-certified plastic surgeon) or find another experienced surgeon to get a second opinion.

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Implant is too small

Implants do not prevent further growth of the breast tissue.  There are no studies that address this issue.  You were put into an implant that you do not like because it was too small to make you happy.

Implants and breast growth

Hi, leilanirose.  Breast implants may result in atrophy (or thinning) of overlying glandular breast tissue and skin over time (especially with larger volume implants and especially if they start to sag more).  This is one of the reasons why some patients can feel more rippling/ wrinkling of their implants as they get older (and this is also the reason why I would recommend that my patients no go too big).  I am not sure which brand or style silicone implants your surgeon used for you, but if you chose the new "gummy bear" style highly cohesive, form stable, anatomically shaped textured implants, they exhibit the least amount of rippling/ wrinkling of all the implants and maintain their shape the best long term and so will not cause patients' breasts to sag as much over time.  This is also partly due to the texturing which allows the implants to "stick" better to the chest wall, causing less sagging over time, because the more saggy your breasts get, the thinner your breast tissue and skin will become over time.  If you gain weight, then yes, you will notice that your breast volume will enlarge (and any rippling/ wrinkling will become less noticeable).  If you lose weight, your breast volume will decrease.  Different breast implant manufacturers make their own version of the gummy bear implants and traditional silicone gel implants and they will all differ in shape, sizes and dimensions.  The implants come in a higher profile/ more narrow base dimension for skinny patients with narrow chests so we can usually give them at least B cups (usually).  Your chest must be really narrow if you are still only an A cup.   The some of the implant manufacturers have recently added more high profile/ more narrow gummy bear style implants to their portfolio so you will have more size options in the future when you decide to  up- size.  Best wishes.

Do breast implants prevent further natural breast growth?

Aloha and thanks for your interesting question.Having implants should not affect natural breast growth that may occur with pregnancy or weight gain. Since you've had implants for a year now, you can probably go bigger.It would be best for you to visit an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in-depth consultation to review your options.
Mahalo, Dr D

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Can you get bigger implants?

If you gain weight, you may gain additional breast tissue. Also, since you've had your implants for a bit, your breast pocket has stretched some so you may be able to accommodate larger implants. Best to talk to your operating surgeon about how much larger of an implant he or she could realistically use in you. Good luck!

Breast Growth

Breast implants do not interfere with breast growth or weight gain.  Now that your skin has stretched, you may be able to have larger implants.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

No, breast implants do not interfere with natural breast growth from weight gain or pregnancy since the implants were placed behind your breast. It is best not to exceed the natural base of your breast with an implant that is too wide. However, since your tissue has stretched, you may now be able to accommodate a larger implant. I would suggest going back to your surgeon and discussing this possibility.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Growth with Weight Gain

Thank you for your inquiry. Everyone gains weight differently. If you do need to put on an extra 30 pounds please do so in a healthy manner. When putting on weight, the areas it will be visible will vary from person to person. If your body type should gain in the breasts, your breasts will grow as they normally would with or without implants. Your implants should not affect or interfere with your breasts growth. Once you attain your desired weight, you may be able to get larger implants should you wish to. Always see a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you,