What happens if you get sick with a cough or cold before surgery?

Im really concerned since my surgery is January 7.. a lot of people get sick in the winter.. so im really worried about getting sick before my surgery since my doctors papers have a warning about getting a cough or cold... If i get a cough or cold will my surgery be cancelled? or is it only for REALLY bad coughs.. like one that you need to go to the Dr. for because its so bad?

Best to be as healthy as possible before surgery

Elective cosmetic surgery should be performed with as minimal risk as possible. Therefore, it is best to be healthy before your surgery. If you happen to develop a cough or cold before surgery with fever your procedure may need to postponed. The risks are that your cold can worsen due to the stress of anesthesia and surgery or worse that you could rarely develop an infection at your surgery site.

Your plastic surgeon, internist and/or anesthesia provider can help determine if postponement is necessary.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

May or may not need to cancel surgery

The biggest concern with getting sick before surgery is your compromised immune system and a higher risk of infection (especially if you have a fever). While your surgery may not be cancelled, it’s always best to tell your surgeon so they can make the call.

Ronald Levine, MD

Your surgeon may choose to re-schedule...

It’s not unusual for pre-operative breast augmentation
patients to develop cough and cold symptoms during the winter months of the
year. When this situation arises,
patients should be carefully evaluated by both their plastic surgeon and
colds are minor, it’s probably reasonable to proceed with breast augmentation
surgery.Colds and coughs that are
associated with elevated temperatures, sputum production, signs of influenza,
wheezing and signs of generalized illness should result in cancellation of the
these circumstances, illnesses can progress and significantly complicate the
post-operative course.In some cases,
secondary complications such as pneumonia, infection, bleeding and hematoma
could result.In addition, a chronic
cough can create significant discomfort in the post-operative period.
these reasons, it’s occasionally necessary to cancel breast augmentation
procedures and re-schedule at a later date.It’s important to remember that safety should always be everyone’s first

Sick prior to breast augmentation

In the event that you get sick prior to surgery, please let your surgeon know. The surgeon may still be able to proceed with the surgery safely, but he or she can better prepare you for the procedure.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Possible cold before surgery?

If a cough or a cold is felt to be from an infection, (e.g. rather than allergic symptoms), then it is important to distinguish between a viral or bacterial type.  If there is reason to believe it is bacterial, or there is uncertainty about its being one or the other, then it is prudent to postpone surgery.  One wants to avoid any contamination and infection of an implant by a blood-borne spread of bacteria.

William Sando, MD

Re: Cough before surgery

It's important for any surgical procedure that you be in optimal health, particularly for placement of an implant. Your surgeon should be aware of any changes in your health in between your pre-op appointment and surgery. We would never want to jeopardize your surgery or your results by moving forward when the patient is unwell. Surgery would perhaps need to be postponed until full health is regained. 

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

100% healthy when undergoing surgery

At our clinic we perform thorough pre-operative tests to make sure clients are 100% healthy. 

The usual contraindications are: high blood pressure, anemia, oral thrush, cough, cold and cold sores. So if you will have a cold the surgery could not be performed as having surgery is a big stress for your body and your imune system is not ready for perfect healing, this is why it is advised to post-pone it.

Martin Skala, MD
Prague Plastic Surgeon

What happens if I get sick prior to surgery?

Great question - and one that I suspect that many women (and men) have - And a reasonable question - when my own kids have had surgery I have wondered in advance what would happen if they got sick prior to their procedure...So here is the short answer - best to communicate with your plastic surgeon - and minor aches and pains and minor ailments are NOT contraindications for surgery - but - that being said - if you develop a raging pneumonia or a high fever - you will definitely want to postpone surgery.  And your surgeon will hopefully suggest the same.  Don't worry - you will not lose your money (at least I would hope so).  No one will hold bad luck against you - Best to be honest and straight forward with your surgeon - this will provide you with the best care - which is most important!  

Sick before surgery

Getting sick is unpredictable but if you do get sick, it is important to discuss it with your plastic surgeon before surgery. Unfortunately your procedure may need to rescheduled until you are fully recovered.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Safety first

Great question,

You always want to make sure you're in good health before undergoing any cosmetic surgery. You're compromised immune system can help cause an infection. Make sure you inform your surgeon if you are concerned. It's always best to play it safe if you want to avoid any infection or complications. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon