What happens if you get sick with a cough or cold before surgery?

Im really concerned since my surgery is January 7.. a lot of people get sick in the winter.. so im really worried about getting sick before my surgery since my doctors papers have a warning about getting a cough or cold... If i get a cough or cold will my surgery be cancelled? or is it only for REALLY bad coughs.. like one that you need to go to the Dr. for because its so bad?

Too sick with a cold for surgery?

It's always good to be in your best health when undergoing surgery. It's important to keep in mind that Cosmetic Surgery is elective surgery, it doesn't have to be done ASAP. It's also important for you to let your surgeon know about your cough or cold so that they can determine if you are in good enough health to undergo your procedure. If your surgeon decides to postpone the surgery, keep in mind that they are doing so for YOUR safety. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Best to be as healthy as possible before surgery

Elective cosmetic surgery should be performed with as minimal risk as possible. Therefore, it is best to be healthy before your surgery. If you happen to develop a cough or cold before surgery with fever your procedure may need to postponed. The risks are that your cold can worsen due to the stress of anesthesia and surgery or worse that you could rarely develop an infection at your surgery site.

Your plastic surgeon, internist and/or anesthesia provider can help determine if postponement is necessary.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon may choose to re-schedule...

It’s not unusual for pre-operative breast augmentation
patients to develop cough and cold symptoms during the winter months of the
year. When this situation arises,
patients should be carefully evaluated by both their plastic surgeon and
anesthesiologist.
When
colds are minor, it’s probably reasonable to proceed with breast augmentation
surgery.Colds and coughs that are
associated with elevated temperatures, sputum production, signs of influenza,
wheezing and signs of generalized illness should result in cancellation of the
procedure.
Under
these circumstances, illnesses can progress and significantly complicate the
post-operative course.In some cases,
secondary complications such as pneumonia, infection, bleeding and hematoma
could result.In addition, a chronic
cough can create significant discomfort in the post-operative period.
For
these reasons, it’s occasionally necessary to cancel breast augmentation
procedures and re-schedule at a later date.It’s important to remember that safety should always be everyone’s first
priority.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Cold and surgery

It is in your best interest to be healthy prior to any surgical procedure. If you feel as though you are not feeling well prior to your procedure, you should contact your plastic surgeon. In certain cases you may be asked to visit your primary care physician to be evaluated prior to surgery.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Healthy before Surgery, Postponing Surgery, Cough and cold before surgery,

You need to be at your optimal health before surgery.  This will help not only the actual surgery but also recovery.  Coughing or sneezing may have many reasons.  Its best to discuss any symptoms with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgery maybe postponed with any illness especially with accompanying fever.

Be sure you choose a surgeon board certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery", check the surgeons on-line reviews, before and after photos, credentials, experience, and have a quality consultation.  

You surgeon should be preferably a member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally a member of "American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons" to indicate cosmetic/aesthetic plastic surgery is the main focus of their practice and they have been evaluated to perform high volume and quality, honest aesthetic surgery and adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD, FACS

Cough or cold prior to surgery

As long as you don't have fever or the flu, it is unlikely that your surgery will require cancellation due to a routine cold or cough.  It may, however, make your recovery somewhat more unpleasant.  This is a discussion to be had on a case-by-case basis with both your surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Good luck!

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

This is an excellent question and one that everyone should be thoughtful about as their surgery date approaches. If you are concerned that you are sick or may be coming down with something before you surgery, do not hesitate to contact your surgeon's office right away. Share your symptoms openly and honestly - no one wants to reschedule and that won't be done unless you are determined to be sick with a bad cough or fever. It is always best to determine this before the day of surgery so the earlier you reach out the better for everyone. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Healthy as possible

Definitely the biggest concern with getting sick before surgery is that your immune system is compromised and a higher risk of infection (especially if you have a fever). You need to inform your surgeon as soon as possible if you are sick and arrangements will be made. Such as antibiotics ahead of time or possibly postponing the surgery.

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Sick Surgery is a NO GO

HI NewYearsNewBoobs, I believe you've answered your own question here! Your surgeon has already for warned you in your consent paperwork about being ill going into surgery. **It's not going to happen!** That being said, you aren't sick!! Just take best precautions, wash your hands as much as possible.  And take leave of those around you that may show signs of illness. Unfortunately, most are contagious before symptoms appear, but at worse if you catch a bug, you'll just need to reschedule your procedure. This is far better than risking harm. Elective surgeries are not a time to take risks. And having a bad cough after a breast augmentation sounds like a miserable situation to me. Good luck!

William Aiello, MD

Cough

Breast augmentation is elective surgery, and therefore you should not have the surgery if you have a cough or cold. You should delay your surgery until you are better to avoid any unnecessary risks or complications through having a cold at the time of your surgery. I hope you stay well!

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon