What is the difference between voluma and Volift?

I would like to know what is the differance between voluma and Volift products both made by juverderm. My doctor said voluma in top of cheeks and Volift for Nasobular folds what does that mean and your oplnion please . Thank you.

Volift vs Voluma

Thank you for your question.  Voluma and Volift (marketed as Vollure in the United States) are both hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers in Juvederm family of products.  Both products are smooth gels made from highly-crosslinked HA molecules, which makes them longer-lasting than some of the earlier HA products on the market.    

Voluma is a thicker, more dense product, primarily designed for deep injections into the cheek and the midface, while Volift/Vollure is slightly thinner filler designed for more superficial injections in the skin.  Because it is a denser and more robust product, Voluma lasts a little longer than Volift/Vollure - in studies, Voluma lasted up to 24 months, while Vollure lasted up to 18.  There is also a third filler in the same family of products available in the US at this time, Volbella - this is the thinnest product in the family, and is designed for subtle enhancement of the lips.

Most governmental regulatory agencies (including the US FDA) require scientific studies demonstrating the efficacy and safety of medications prior to their release.  As a result, these fillers are often only studied in only one particular part of the face, to consistently demonstrate their efficacy, even if they can be used safely and effectively in other parts of the face.  It is ultimately the responsibility of your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to know the specific properties of each product and to thoroughly assess your facial structure and anatomy to determine which products would be best for you.  Even though Voluma is technically for the cheeks and Volift/Vollure is technically for the nasolabial folds, there are patients for whom I would recommend Voluma in the nasolabial folds, etc.  I would suggest consulting with an expert to determine the best treatment plan for you.  Best of luck!    

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Foundations, cross linking and how long Voluma and Volift last

See the video for explanation. Both of these fillers are made by Juvederm- Voluma as the name suggest gives volume, I use this as a foundation filler to help really hollow cheeks, as well as areas such as the jawline. Volift is softer and has lifting properties (all fillers do, but this is exceptionally good). Volift last 18 months, Voluma last 24 months and beyond . Excellent fillers in the correct hands. Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

They might be the same

VoLift was launched in Europe in 2013 and is a HA filler made by Allergan with lidocaine.

Voluma is the name of the long-lasting 2-year HA filler by Allergan in the USA, it also has lidocaine.  

Volift is not available in the USA, to the best of my knowledge.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon