How long after a breast augmentation till I can start bowling?

So I will be getting a breast augmentation on the 25th. I'm getting 600cc high profile silicone smooth round implants. I like to bowl on leagues and was wondering how long I would need to recover before I can start bowling again. The bowling ball is 12 lbs at that. Thank you!:) Christina

Will need some time

It will be perhaps a month or so before you can bowl.
It could be longer due to the need for your body to adjust to the larger implants.
You will need to wait to see.

Bowling after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. post-operative recommendations are often times specific to each plastic surgeon so it is best to address this question with your operating surgeon. Most of my patients can begin light workouts 2-3 weeks post-op but no lifting over 10 pounds for 3-4 weeks. With that being said, it is also important to keep in mind that every patient heals at a different rate. 600 cc implants are a larger implant so you may need additional time to recover properly before bowling. It's best to ask your surgeon.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon would be the best person to speak to regarding your activity. I would anticipate being limited for 3-6 weeks. 

Best wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Postoperative restrictions

Best to address this question directly to your surgeon. Typically there is not heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks, but every plastic surgeon has their own protocol to match their surgery.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Bowling after breast augmentation

The answer to this question is going to be very Dr. specific as all plastic surgeons may have different views on what their recommendations would be for activities after breast augmentation. A 600 mL implant is quite large and will put more stress on the overlying tissues than what a 300 mL implant would. I tell my patients to keep their blood pressure and heart rate normal for two weeks. They can then start any exercise regimen that doesn't hurt. No contact sports for six weeks. I'm not sure about bowling, but the support of the ball may require some pectoralis activation. I would tell you to wait another week or so  until the muscle is not as sore. I recommend you talk to your plastic surgeon because he or she knows what was done and may have their own thoughts on the subject. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - how soon can I be bowling again

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Unless you are a very big woman, a 600 cc implant will be a big implant for you.
  • I assume they are going under the muscle -
  • So you may be too sore to bowl for at least 3 - 4 weeks.
  • But everyone is different - 
  • My advice to my patients is to start back to exercise either at 2 weeks or when the pain is gone.
  • Ask your own surgeon what her/his advice is to you - s/he will know all about your health and can give you the best advice.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

How long after a breast augmentation till I can start bowling

Thank you for your question. Implants will limit your ability to exercise for 4-6 weeks.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Bayougal, 

Thank you for your questions and information.

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own SPECFIC recovery protocol and instructions.
I suggest you ask these questions to your chosen Plastic Surgeon.

However, I hope you find the following information hopeful.

All muscles when stretched or contracted result in pain (example a "Charlie horse").
The muscle will take 6-8 weeks to conform/stretch to the dimensions of the implant. I refer to this as "seating" of the implant.

I have my patients follow our "5-5-5" protocol.
Beginning the day after surgery (as pain tolerates) we begin breast massage to help stretch the muscle by implant displacement and prospectively modulate the capsule to the shape and position that the woman wants her breast to look like.
5 minutes a day
5 days a week
5 x weeks

I personally think recovery is more rapid with intraoperative injection of local anesthesia into the muscle and postoperative use of a 3 day constant infusion of local anesthesia via a non narcotic pain pump helps keep the muscle relaxed during the first several days of stretching as it becomes more relaxed.

To obtain the desired final appearance of the breasts (every Plastic Surgeon has their own recommendations) Here are mine:
1) fist 2-3 days take it easy at home and "ice" the breasts
2) begin displacement exercises ("5-5-5" protocol) as pain permits. Breasts immediately look good in bra or bathing suit but need to "seat" to look good in the nude.
3) Return to work when you feel you can. Earlier for non required upper body
users and longer if your arms are needed. Good judgment prevails.
4)first 6 weeks exercise as pain limits
5)after 6 weeks exercise without limitations
6) 2-3 months for breast implants to "seat"

I trust you have chosen a experienced Plastic Surgeons who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who is ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

I would say at least a month but you would be wise to gradually step up your activities in the intervening period and perhaps consider a lighter ball for a while also.

Best wishes for a successful operation 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon